Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skype's messed up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Skype working fine, last few issues - TOS nag and lots of syslog errors

So bluetooth is working well, audio seems to be great. The icon's even been converted to a structured image rather than the blocky bitmap. Nice work, whoever's maintaining this.

The only odd couple of remaining issues I can see are that you have to accept the TOS every time you launch Skype, and then there's the little matter of it slamming syslog with error messages

Code:
    Apr 17 11:34:45 galt kernel: [ 1085.240506] Valid eCryptfs headers not found in file header region or xattr region, inode 5918527
    Apr 17 11:34:45 galt kernel: [ 1085.240512] Either the lower file is not in a valid eCryptfs format, or the key could not be retrieved. Plaintext passthrough mode is not enabled; returning -EIO
    Apr 17 11:34:47 galt kernel: [ 1087.240870] Valid eCryptfs headers not found in file header region or xattr region, inode 5918528
    Apr 17 11:34:47 galt kernel: [ 1087.240880] Either the lower file is not in a valid eCryptfs format, or the key could not be retrieved. Plaintext passthrough mode is not enabled; returning -EIO
    Apr 17 11:34:47 galt kernel: [ 1087.240951] Valid eCryptfs headers not found in file header region or xattr region, inode 5918527
    Apr 17 11:34:47 galt kernel: [ 1087.240957] Either the lower file is not in a valid eCryptfs format, or the key could not be retrieved. Plaintext passthrough mode is not enabled; returning -EIO
    It just keeps doing that while it's running.

Beans

Angry Re: Skype's messed up

Are you using the 32 or the 64bit version of Ubuntu?
    It seems that lots of people are having problems with Skype when using Ubuntu 64bit, even when downloading from the partner repository.

See the bug I have filled in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pe/+bug/980320 (and please mark as affecting you if it is the case) and this thread on the Skype Community forum http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/...untu/td-p/1162 .

Unfortunately I don't have much hope about getting an official response from Microsoft Skype about their Linux version.

Quote Originally Posted by tehowe View Post
    So I've been using the latest Skype (beta 2.2) from the .deb file and wish it would work properly. I doubt it's appropriate to file a bug against something that isn't even in the partner repository as of yet... and it would probably be futile to seek out the Skype team since I'm running a beta OS. But I thought I'd raise the flag here and see if anyone else had encountered this issue...

Second problem, it's also been crashing a lot lately.

No one I know actually uses Jabber, so it would be a Good Thing to get Skype working reliably, or reverse engineer the protocol for FOSS or something... :S Easy for me to say, I'm still working on figuring out hello world level stuff in python hehe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Skype's messed up

Quote Originally Posted by dcordeiro View Post
    Are you using the 32 or the 64bit version of Ubuntu?
    It seems that lots of people are having problems with Skype when using Ubuntu 64bit, even when downloading from the partner repository.

See the bug I have filled in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...pe/+bug/980320 (and please mark as affecting you if it is the case) and this thread on the Skype Community forum http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/...untu/td-p/1162 .

Unfortunately I don't have much hope about getting an official response from Microsoft Skype about their Linux version.
    It's 64bit. I don't think that's the same issue as my Skype is working for the most part now. But a lot of wierd stuff, regressions etc, has definitely been going on as Precise libraries get upgraded around it I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12