Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter Games for Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Kickstarter Games for Linux

Quote Originally Posted by mercenarygames View Post
    Thanks for the insight on the trailer video.

Yes, we do have a DENSE amount of text, and content. We didn't have enough time to produce a video with ourselves in it; we're a team that's operating on Skype, Dropbox and Git. We do not have a physical location
    I didn't realise that. That's actually really, really cool to learn, given what you've achieved. If you can, I'd at least suggest some voice-over just to add a sense of personal connection to the pitch-video trailer. I think that would make people less likely to watch and leave.

We had to roll the project as soon as possible. We poured about 2 weeks of our prototypes and demanding them to show the kind of maneuvers we wanted to execute. Once the "practice chamber" was ready, we were able to record combat flight footage strictly from the perspective of our controls and maneuvers.

We wanted to be sure we focused on our core mechanic. Again, sorry we couldn't roll much more effort in the video, we're facing logistical challenges, as well as shortage in physical resources. (camera, production time, bug hunting time...)
    Knowing more about your development context, that all makes much more sense, and makes me even more keen to support you.

Thank you also for the insight on explaining a game to a total and complete a$$****.

However, we are not targeting assholes XD We're targeting people interested in novel control mechanics and combat maneuverability in gaming. We're looking for our core audience first.
    Hehe. That's a fair comment, but it never hurts to get a few impulse-backers onboard for the ramen, if not for the core fervour. XD

Beans

Also, a bit more insight on our trailer.

We had to showcase everyone's skills in the studio; engineering, art, sound+music, enemy concepts, video production, particle effects. We produced the video to have a maximum of 2 minutes worth of the concept. I wanted to test my crew on their production capacity, and being able to deliver this in front of an audience, with a limited time frame.

Those two minutes represent 2 weeks of brutal bug hunting, prototyping and tweaking our graphics rendering module.

I wanted to see if 2 minutes worth of footage of my crews combined efforts produced something worth watching. If gamers can't even be interested in 2 mins worth of our work, it means we were doing something wrong, and the pitch would fail.

So far, our entire design document and some showcase of 25% of our material is worth 105 backers on Kickstarter. A hundred folks, that's good numbers to me (I'm not even worried about the $ count now).

We're slowly realizing that building the audience first is crucial to making the game. So we're gonna show our patrons how we build, from the ground up.

Playable Prototypes, Soon.
    Last edited by mercenarygames; April 5th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

shadowrun-returns! (possible linux version when they exceed funding)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...dowrun-returns
    Last edited by madjr; April 5th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mercenarygames View Post
    Also, a bit more insight on our trailer.

We had to showcase everyone's skills in the studio; engineering, art, sound+music, enemy concepts, video production, particle effects. We produced the video to have a maximum of 2 minutes worth of the concept. I wanted to test my crew on their production capacity, and being able to deliver this in front of an audience, with a limited time frame.

Those two minutes represent 2 weeks of brutal bug hunting, prototyping and tweaking our graphics rendering module.
    That just adds to how impressive your project is. That's some serious management skill, and your crew clearly delivered. Very well done to you all.

I wanted to see if 2 minutes worth of footage of my crews combined efforts produced something worth watching. If gamers can't even be interested in 2 mins worth of our work, it means we were doing something wrong, and the pitch would fail.
    That's a fair point. However, I consider myself a gamer (albeit no longer as rabid as I once was), and I was certainly interested, but I just think you'd be more likely to get more gamers that are browsing Kickstarter to give your project the attention it deserves if your pitch were a bit more explanatory, like we're used to from other Kickstarter projects. That's all. It looks like it'll do respectably anyway, and with new updates and more videos, you should definitely see increasing interest.

So far, our entire design document and some showcase of 25% of our material is worth 105 backers on Kickstarter. A hundred folks, that's good numbers to me (I'm not even worried about the $ count now).

We're slowly realizing that building the audience first is crucial to making the game.
    That's absolutely key. It's a huge part of how Schafer, Fargo, Al Lowe and others got off to such flying starts. Developing a following will definitely give you a compounding boost. I've Liked you on Facebook, and would follow you on Twitter, but I couldn't see that you have one.

So we're gonna show our patrons how we build, from the ground up.

Playable Prototypes, Soon.
    Awesome and double-awesome. Keep it coming! (Off to share your newest video now. )

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post

I messaged them the other day about Linux support, before their funding exploded, but haven't heard back yet. They introduced a modest overfunding goal early on to add Mac support ($425k with an initial goal of $400k, which they're nearly at), so there's hope. However, their FAQ currently states: "We can't commit to a Linux version right now but we're definitely looking into it!" That suggests to me that the engine they're using might be a lot more Mac-friendly, and thus easier to support on that platform.

I'm a bit leery of jumping in (not least because all the recent games are starting to hurt my wallet! ) until there's a definite stretch-goal for Linux support. As soon as there is, I'll be in there like a flash. It's definitely one to watch, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    I messaged them the other day about Linux support, before their funding exploded, but haven't heard back yet. They introduced a modest overfunding goal early on to add Mac support ($425k with an initial goal of $400k, which they're nearly at), so there's hope. However, their FAQ currently states: "We can't commit to a Linux version right now but we're definitely looking into it!" That suggests to me that the engine they're using might be a lot more Mac-friendly, and thus easier to support on that platform.

I'm a bit leery of jumping in (not least because all the recent games are starting to hurt my wallet! ) until there's a definite stretch-goal for Linux support. As soon as there is, I'll be in there like a flash. It's definitely one to watch, though.
    at least their engine (moai) has nacl exporting support in case they cant get a native port for linux (which can be hard, time consuming and costly if engine does not support it).

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/12/gam...to-native.html

nacl is very good i've been playing many games and they all work very good.

Already sent them a msg, lets see what they say.

more upcoming nacl games:
    http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/03/l...es-coming.html
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

Ahh, I didn't know they were using an engine that supported NaCl. That's hopeful.

Already sent them a msg, lets see what they say.

more upcoming nacl games:
    http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/03/l...es-coming.html
    Indeed! And thanks for that link -- interesting stuff.

Beans

Their goal of 400,000$ to support Windows has been reached, and their goal of 425,000$ to support Mac OS X has been reached as well. They are at nearly 440,000$ at the moment so a Linux version should definitely be in the run seeing as how they shot past their Mac OS X goal by quite a bit.

Beans

Shadowrun Returns update:
    "To everyone asking about a Mac version of the game, we've been saying that if we hit the $425,000 level, we'd add it. Linux support is definitely on the table too! (After all, who'd be a better Decker?)"

Beans

Wanted to share our informal, and hopefully amusing, interview with the folks at dopelives.com

Hope you get a laugh or two out of that, our team was just "winging it"

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast