Thread: Brand new Lemur, wireless issues.

Beans

Brand new Lemur, wireless issues.

Lemur arrived today and this is my first experience with Ubuntu and System 76. After doing all the updates and my wireless connection is really weak and slow. I live in an apartment house with the router and modem three floors down. Our Mac signal strength is fine and speed is fine but the Lemur signal is only two bars and depending where I am in the apartment very slow. Is there anything I can do, configuring wise as to adjust this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Brand new Lemur, wireless issues.

I am expecting my new Lemur this afternoon as soon as UPS delivers. Will have to see how the wireless works here. I have a Cisco 'g' type radio in my router at home. There are 3 types: b, g, n. I would not be surprised at a weak signal with a 'g' type router for that distance depending what the walls and floors are made of or what is in them (electrical, plumbing, etc). But if an 'n' type router there should be no problem going 3 floors. I work with desktop and laptop computers at work and find that there is a difference between each wireless radio in the laptops, even if they have the same model wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Do you know which wireless card came with your Lemur? I had problems with the wireless in my Lemur as described here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1916776

The solution was to get what was at the time the "upgraded" Intel wireless card for the Lemur (I had opted for the default Realtek card that proved to be less-than-stellar). Recently System76 stopped offering the lower-end Realtek card and only offered the Intel card. Depending on when you ordered your Lemur, you may not have been able to get the Realtek card - in which case, disregard this post.

Beans

It came with the Intel Centrino and thanks for the info. The connection speed varies too but 26 Mb/s to 9 Mb/s and even up to 40-50 Mb/s. So I know it's not all the Lemur but our Mac is just fine, so little perplexed.

Beans

I'll look into this and if I find anything, I'll get back to you. Go Hawks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I did receive the laptop this afternoon at about 2:30 (UPS was early today). Had some things to take care of but now finally getting it set up. In fact I am using it now to write this post. So far it found my wireless just fine and is showing mostly a full 4 bars. I did notice that occassionally it would drop to 3 bars, still not bad at all. I haven't check data speed yet but have not noticed any difference compared to my wired desktop. Will watch this thread and report back if I do have any issues to report. BTW- I do have the Intel wireless installed. It was the only option when I ordered it. I am still so glad I got in on the sale price just when it started last week.