Thread: DVB device not available at mythtv-backend startup

Beans

DVB device not available at mythtv-backend startup

Hi All,

I recently installed Mythbuntu 11.10. But the myth backend wasn't starting automatically. So added the below line to /etc/rc.local to start the mythtv-backend while booting.

Code:
    start mythtv-backend start
    exit 0
    However, I cannot get live tv without manually restarting the backend. As per the mythbackend.log the DVB device (/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0) isn't available at mythbackend startup (file not found).

(I use an af9035 DVB-T (USB) device and followed this post to install the driver. http://askubuntu.com/a/84611/48674)

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the issue?

Thanks

Beans

Re: DVB device not available at mythtv-backend startup

Quote Originally Posted by erangaj View Post
    Hi All,

I recently installed Mythbuntu 11.10. But the myth backend wasn't starting automatically. So added the below line to /etc/rc.local to start the mythtv-backend while booting.

Code:
    start mythtv-backend start
    exit 0
    However, I cannot get live tv without manually restarting the backend. As per the mythbackend.log the DVB device (/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0) isn't available at mythbackend startup (file not found).

(I use an af9035 DVB-T (USB) device and followed this post to install the driver. http://askubuntu.com/a/84611/48674)

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix the issue?

Thanks
    Put a delay in your rc.local script, as it is probably taking some time for your tuner to be detected and the driver properly loading.

Beans

nickrout,

Thanks for the tip. Finally solved by adding a script to delay mythbackend and frontend until the DVB device is up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erangaj View Post
    nickrout,

Thanks for the tip. Finally solved by adding a script to delay mythbackend and frontend until the DVB device is up.
    that is the correct way to do it, a simple "pause" command is the quick and dirty way