Thread: Lucid: can't open Sofware Sources, Synaptic from GNOME, Update Manager hangs

Hybrid View

Beans

Lucid: can't open Sofware Sources, Synaptic from GNOME, Update Manager hangs

Hey peeps. Like the subject says, I can't open Sofware Sources, Synaptic from GNOME and Update Manager hangs when I try to DO anything. I've done a fair bit of searching, but nothing seems to work.

I'm not sure when this started happening, but it might've been after I customized a theme (?) or chose a different default theme.

Here are my symptoms.

-- Choosing Software Sources and Synaptic Package manager causes taskbar to display "Starting Adminstrative Application..." and then taskbar item disappears and nothing happens.

-- sudo synaptic (and gksu synaptic) has a weird delay (see below), produces a warning then opens and works correctly (this is the warning: "Warning, failed to load: package-supportedUnrecognized image file format". There's no space between -supported and Unrecognized.) Synaptic seems to be running slowly.

-- System Testing seems to hang with no acvitity on "gathering information". (No change after 15 minutes.)

-- Any sudo command, even 'ls' has a weird five-second pause, even on the 2nd run (after I've entered my password).

-- apt-get commands produce no errors

-- In Update Manager (which opens)clicking Settings..., Check or Install Updates causes hang and Update Manager must be "Force Quit"

-- sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade successfully update my system

Any advice?
    Last edited by hoink; March 22nd, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Lucid: can't open Sofware Sources, Synaptic from GNOME, Update Manager hangs

Try terminal command
    Code:
    gksu synaptic
    (not sudo for gui applications) and see if there are any error messages appearing in terminal from that.

Beans

Re: Lucid: can't open Sofware Sources, Synaptic from GNOME, Update Manager hangs

Thx for your reply.

First of all, I edited my OP to fix a typo (gksu synaptic).

Then, I REtyped gksu synaptic to see if the behavior I reported in the OP had changed. And, by jing, it had. (I think it was after a fresh reboot.)

Instead of acting like I initially described, gksu synaptic made the "Starting Administrative Application..." taskbar appear, disappear and then hang the command line. No errors.

I CTRL-C'd, repeated same command, got same result.

I then did "sudo synaptic" and synaptic opened in the same way described in the OP. I closed it.

Then, I RERAN gksu synaptic, and THEN it opened as described in the OP.

TL;DR - after sudo-ing synaptic open, gksu synaptic worked again with no errors
    Last edited by hoink; March 22nd, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Beans

I should also point out that clicking "Check" on the Update Manager triggers that "Starting Administrative Application..." taskbar effect.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by hoink View Post
    I should also point out that clicking "Check" on the Update Manager triggers that "Starting Administrative Application..." taskbar effect.
    That is quite normal. Type your password and away you go!

Beans

Thx for your reply, but I was referring to the "taskbar thing appears, disappears, then hangs" behavior I described in the OP.