Thread: Security features in all *ubuntu versions.

Beans

Question Security features in all *ubuntu versions.

Hello all! I have one short and maybe stupid question regarding to the security features included in Ubuntu. I mean for example things like gcc's -fstack-protector, heap protector, ASLR, Fortify Source and others, which generally are mentioned here: Security/Features. So, my question is: all of these features are available in others available Ubuntu versions such as Xubuntu etc? I know it sounds silly, but I want to be sure, that all variants of *ubuntu are protected in the same way.

Beans

Re: Security features in all *ubuntu versions.

It's my understanding that they're all based on Ubuntu but use different desktop environments and built-in programs. So the changes don't affect the security features.

http://www.geekyard.com/os/linux-os/...u-or-edubuntu/

Beans

Ok, all *ubuntu versions are protected the same way. Nice. On the official Xubuntu website I found interesting text: Xubuntu is designed with security in mind (...). Thank You for response and clarify. Best regards!
    Last edited by kleenex; March 21st, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would agree with the above. They are all the same at the core, but the more applications that are built in, the more potential security risks you have. As Xubuntu has the lease amount of extra software, it is arguably the most secure...
    Can't do this on my own. Need another Spartan up here...