Thread: 11.10 installation - "NTFS mount denied", then busybox

Beans

11.10 installation - "NTFS mount denied", then busybox

I'm trying to install 11.10 via WUBI, but I'm ending up in the busybox on the first reboot. After the initial countdown it briefly displays something like "...iwatch....dm-xx... mount failed", shows the splash screen and then it gives me a very false/misleading message that the NTFS volume is locked and that I should run chkdsk from windows (which robbed me of 2 hours of my life).

Host NTFS volume is clean, no errors. I have a fakeraid setup with Intel ICH10R, 2x1Tb merged, which I know could be the problem but I've used a WUBI-installed lucid for a year on the same setup and had no problems.

Btw. if I 'cd' from busybox into '/isodevice' I see my host NTFS volume, which probably should not happen if it can't read RAID partitions.
    Last edited by bascar; March 23rd, 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Correction

Beans

Re: 11.10 installation - "NTFS mount denied", then busybox

The problem is that device /dev/dm-2 cannot be mounted at /tmpmountpoint because it's already mounted as /isodevice. From the BusyBox if I do 'umount /isodevice' then I can 'mount /dev/dm-2 /tmpmountpoint -t ntfs'.

Running 'mount' shows that '/isodevice' is mounted for
    '/..xyz../MainVolume' (not '/dev/dm-2'), and MainVolume is the name of my RAID volume.

Is it possible that Wubi or some device autodiscovery cannot tell that /dev/dm-2 and /xyz/MainVolume are the same block device?

Beans

Re: 11.10 installation - "NTFS mount denied", then busybox

I gave up and installed 10.04 via Wubi (which installs just fine) and then upgraded it three times to 11.10.