Thread: cups error when printing from windows 7

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

cups error when printing from windows 7

I installed my brother printer (connected to my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS desktop) on a new HP/Windows 7 Home Premium laptop. Installed it as a network printer with the same configuration as I've used on Windows XP and Windows 2000 machines. It was "successfully installed", but can't print a test page.

Immediately after trying to print I found this message in my cups access_log:

<the laptop's lan address> - - [22/Mar/2012:12:58:27 -0400] "POST /printers/HL-5150D-series HTTP/1.1" 200 75 windows-ext client-error-bad-request

and I found these messages in my cups error_log:

E [22/Mar/2012:12:58:27 -0400] Missing printer-uri, job-uri, or ppd-name attribute!
    E [22/Mar/2012:12:58:27 -0400] Returning IPP client-error-bad-request for windows-ext (no URI) from <the laptop's lan address>

I have checked that printer name a dozen times -- as far as I can see it is exactly correct, same hyphenation, same uppercase/lowercase characters, no spaces, and so on.

What can be causing these errors?

Here is the corresponding message in the access_log after printing from another laptop (running Windows XP):
    <WinXP laptop lan address> - - [22/Mar/2012:14:39:54 -0400] "POST /printers/HL-5150D-series HTTP/1.1" 200 177847 Print-Job successful-ok

I also tried to print from the Win2K machine and couldn't -- somehow the properties page for that one was messed up and it had no port at all checked for this printer. That produced cups messages EXACTLY THE SAME (except for the lan address) as the error messages produced when printing from Windows 7:
    <Win2K lan address> - - [22/Mar/2012:14:52:27 -0400] "POST /printers/HL-5150D-series HTTP/1.1" 200 75 windows-ext client-error-bad-request
    E [22/Mar/2012:14:52:27 -0400] Missing printer-uri, job-uri, or ppd-name attribute!
    E [22/Mar/2012:14:52:27 -0400] Returning IPP client-error-bad-request for windows-ext (no URI) from <Win2K lan address>

But I reinstalled the printer in the Win2K machine and now it too can print normally and the access log now shows:
    <Win2K lan address> - - [22/Mar/2012:14:53:35 -0400] "POST /printers/HL-5150D-series HTTP/1.1" 200 158521 Print-Job successful-ok
    Last edited by r.stiltskin; March 22nd, 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: addl information for comparison

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: cups error when printing from windows 7

well on w7, a printer connected to other computer is not understood as network printer but it is local printer.

Try to install it as local printer and then enter the path to it and it should work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Is this a Windows 7 question? Or a Linux CUPS question?

If it's strictly a problem with Win7, you should post the problem to a Win7 forum: sevenforums.com.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

To be honest, Mark, I'm not sure. For a while, when I saw what seem to be ambiguous or contradictory cups error messages I thought it might be a cups problem. Now I think, probably not.

But here are two explicitly cups questions:

Can you suggest a way to capture the exact, full contents of the requests that are being received by cups, to aid in diagnosis?

Also, referring to the "Missing printer-uri, job-uri, or ppd-name attribute!" messages, do you know of any resource that would be helpful in deciphering exactly what cups is complaining about?

and @ottosykora: it doesn't work when designated as a local printer either.
    Last edited by r.stiltskin; March 22nd, 2012 at 09:52 PM.

Beans

http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/wini...003-07-20.html

this **** look SO complicated. I wish I had configured this once before, because I don't want to experiment with all this now for the first time. Do me a favor and pm me. I want to get on xchat and try some troubleshooting configuring windows 7 to use a cups printer. But did the admins say you installed the printer as a host based printer and not a network based printer? Amazing, that won't work. Also I can't parallel the method I would explain for you to use, especially since windows 7 doesn't have supported drivers for my printer in any way shape or form, but it'd be nice because if we both used the same method, it'd be easy to come back to this thread and post a fix to solve the problem. Pm me if you wish maybe we can work something out. Btw have you looked at this page?

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/cups.html

now if you want to set up the printer on windows 7 as a network based printer I believe you simply need to install printer drivers that are network based printer drivers from the printer manufacturers web site, then I'm not sure how to configure it with a network i.p. address, assign a port in the router, ping the port, etc. Windows obviously doesn't use cups it uses another spooler service
    Last edited by imachavel; March 22nd, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think I can say at this point that it's not a cups problem at all, but a Windows 7 problem. The error messages that I described earlier occur while the Win 7 printer installation wizard is running. I tried doing some wireshark captures, but as far as I can see, after "installation", when I try to print from the Win7 machine it doesn't generate any network activity at all.