Thread: video server app

Beans

video server app

Hi, newbie here. I've set up ubuntu server with LAMP. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good app to stream video through out the house, and possibly beyond in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: video server app

Quote Originally Posted by augustkk View Post
    Hi, newbie here. I've set up ubuntu server with LAMP. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good app to stream video through out the house, and possibly beyond in the future.

are you wanting to stream video through a web interface or are you wanting to stream video to your TV/XBOX/PS3 and the like?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Beans

I'd like to do both eventually, but yes, to the tv and other computers in the house

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by augustkk View Post
    I'd like to do both eventually, but yes, to the tv and other computers in the house
    I would check out Mythbuntu and see what you can find there, That is ubuntu's HTPC OS.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

http://www.mythtv.org/
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Personally i only stream locally but i have tried subsonic which may fit your needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just export the appropriate directories off the server with NFS or, occasionally, Samba, mount them on the clients, and play the files directly. I've never really seen the need for some type of specialized software unless you want to use DLNA clients like a PS3. In those cases, ps3mediaserver gets high marks from its users.