Thread: Customizing my FS: What filesystem features depend on an inode size of 256?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Customizing my FS: What filesystem features depend on an inode size of 256?

Hello,

I am trying to have total control over creation of a filesystem. I have been sticking with a plan to have minimal features, but I have an external hard drive, and I wanted to add the feature "has_journal" in case it is accidentally unplugged, without taking any other features called for in /etc/mke2fs.conf.

If somebody could fill this in, it would answer my question. Assume that the filesystem in question will never need to have any additional features other then what is called for in the mkfs.ext2/ext3/ext4 commands.

Ubuntu 9.04 (referring to /etc/mke2fs.conf):
    section [defaults]
    sparse_super: Does it need 256 (I doubt it)
    filetype: Does it need 256 (I doubt it)
    resize_inode: Does it need 256?
    dir_index: Does it need 256?
    ext_attr: Does it need 256?

section [ext3]
    has_journal: Does it need 256?

Ok, now for the latest version, as of this post. In this scenario I am looking at installing ubuntu 11.10 on my internal drive, and I am curious which features in ext4 must have the inode size set to 256.

Ubuntu 11.10(referring to /etc/mke2fs.conf):
    section [ext4]
    extent: Does it need 256?
    huge_file: Does it need 256?
    flex_bg: Does it need 256?
    uninit_bg: Does it need 256?
    dir_nlink: Does it need 256?
    extra_isize: Does it need 256?

I hope that this way a lot of questions can be answered all at once.

Finally, in the case of my external hard drive, I wonder if I picked the correct features for my usage. from dumpe2fs, the current features I set are:
    "has_journal dir_index filetype sparse_super"

I am storing a lot of files, so that is why I chose dir_index and filetype. I have used mke2fs without any features, so I know that sparse_super is a MUST for anything larger then 1GB. Again, being an external drive, I am adding has_journal because it is more vulnerable then an internal drive, easily being unplugged before an unmount actually completes.

I called mke2fs with arguments including ^resize_inode,^ext_attr" to cancel those two, as I don't plan to make changes or enhancements to the functionality of this filesystem.

Thanks for advice!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Customizing my FS: What filesystem features depend on an inode size of 256?

Bump. I still can't find out more about this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Customizing my FS: What filesystem features depend on an inode size of 256?

Quote Originally Posted by stlu View Post
    Bump. I still can't find out more about this...
    hi
    to find out have a look at: /etc/mke2fs.conf
    for me i always create with those defaults and using mount for specail access (performance ...).
    have a look at the: man mount
    ciao
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht