Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Running a Tascam US-122 in Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

HOWTO: Running a Tascam US-122 in Dapper

This is simply a rewrite of a HOWTO I did for getting a US-122 to work on Hoary. Very little has changed except for versions of packages being installed.

I should add that I did the Ubuntu Studio setup before doing any of this. If you actually have use for a US-122, you probably have use for many of the other pieces of Ubuntu Studio.

First, do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fxload alsa-base alsa-firmware-loaders alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsamixergui alien
    Next, get an RPM of alsa-firmware and install it via alien. The one listed here was done for OpenSuSE.

Do
    Code:
    wget ftp://chuck.ucs.indiana.edu/pub/array2/linux/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/suse/noarch/alsa-firmware-1.0.9-4.noarch.rpm
    then, get to the location where you downloaded the RPM and do
    Code:
    sudo alien --to-deb alsa-firmware-1.0.9-4.noarch.rpm
    and
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i alsa-firmware_1.0.9-5_all.deb
    (the above is not a typo. The RPM is 1.0.9-4 but the DEB created by alien is 1.0.9-5)

Once your deb is installed, do
    Code:
    wget http://langerland.de/linux/usx2y/usx2y-fw-0.1b.tar.bz2
    and extract it. Then do
    Code:
    lsusb
    and make note of the bus and device. In my case, I got:
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 1604:8006 Tascam US-122 Audio/Midi Interface
    Now do
    Code:
    sudo fxload -s /path/to/ld2-ezusb.hex -I /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader/us122fw.ihx -D /proc/bus/usb/002/003
    /path/to/ represents the location of your ld2-ezusb.hex file. It was in the archive you downloaded from langerland.de. The /002/003 comes from the lsusb results. 002 = Bus. 003 = Device

Finally, do
    Code:
    sudo usx2yloader
    The lights on the US-122 should come on. If you do
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/cards
    you will see something like
    0 [Live ]: EMU10K1 - Sound Blaster Live!
    Sound Blaster Live! (rev.10) at 0xd000, irq 18
    1 [USX2Y ]: USB US-X2Y - TASCAM US-X2Y
    TASCAM US-X2Y (1604:8007 if 0 at 001/006)
    If you already had a sound card(s) installed, as I did, your USB card will be the last in the list.

Should you reboot or disconnect the device, you'll need to do
    Code:
    sudo usx2yloader
    again to initialize the card.

You could even have usx2yloader run on startup, if the card was attached all the time.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SFN; June 13th, 2006 at 04:10 AM.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Running a Tascam US-122 in Dapper

I am going to try this very soon, but I do have a question:

Do I need to uninstall the old Alsa version before I do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

You shouldn't have to. I didn't.
    In his later years, Oofty Goofty used to like to sit on the front porch of the General Store and
    reminisce about the time he let the late, great John L. Sullivan hit him with a billiard cue.

Beans

Ok, I have it working now, but

each time I disconnect it, i have to load the firmware with fxload, per the example, to get it back working again.

What have I done wrong? How can I make it autostart, or at least just allow me to run usx2yloader to start it manually?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by passonno
    Ok, I have it working now, but

each time I disconnect it, i have to load the firmware with fxload, per the example, to get it back working again.

What have I done wrong? How can I make it autostart, or at least just allow me to run usx2yloader to start it manually?
    This part

Quote Originally Posted by SFN
    Should you reboot or disconnect the device, you'll need to do
    Code:

Code:
    sudo usx2yloader
    again to initialize the card.

You could even have usx2yloader run on startup, if the card was attached all the time.
    covers that.

I'm not at my Ubuntu machine right now but essentially, in Gnome click System -> Preferences -> Sessions -> Startup Programs. Click Add and "sudo usx2yloader" in for the program you wish to run, then click OK.

You could also create a startup script usx2yloader. If someone has more info on this or some better way to make this happen, feel free to post it and I will add it to the HOWTO.

Personally, I don't want my US-122 to load up automatically as it's not always connected to the computer.

Beans

That's the problem, though.

When I unplug the us122 from the machine, and then plug it in again, I have to run the fxload command EACH TIME, and then run usx2yloader.

It's not terribly annoying, but it's not terribly convenient either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

When I unplug the us122 from the machine, and then plug it in again, I have to run the fxload command EACH TIME, and then run usx2yloader.
    Ahh, OK. I see what you're saying.

To make matters worse, the Device ID changes every time you plug the US-122 in. Only when you unplug and plug back in though. Rebooting doesn't seem to affect it.

Hmm. I'll play with this and see what I can come up with.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

First of all, thanks for the howto.
    I got my card working in dapper, but I installed it a bit different. You might want to compare it, so I'm adding my 2 cents.

That's the problem, though.

It's not terribly annoying, but it's not terribly convenient either.
    I installed my Tascam US-122 in a different way, and I don't have this problem.

- Install the alsa packges from the dapper repositories.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get alsa-base alsa-firmware-loaders alsa-oss alsa-tools alsa-utils alsamixergui fxload
    - Grab the firmware of http://www.alsa-project.org/ : ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/firmw...1.0.10.tar.bz2
    Extract, and copy the firmware to /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader:
    note: the first dir in the next command is the directory that contains the firmware drivers from the package you extracted, ie us122fw.ihx, ...
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/alsa_temp/firmware/usx2yloader /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader
    My /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader shows:
    Code:
    ingmar@ingmar-laptop:~$ ls /usr/share/alsa/firmware/usx2yloader
    an2131.asm  tascam_loader.asm  us122.conf   us122.prepad
    README      tascam_loader.ihx  us122fw.ihx  us122.rbt
    So these are, afaik, the only files you need to add, if you install alsa from the repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I was just about to link to this which would solve his problem but your solution seems cleaner. However, I want to verify that it solves his problem.

I don't have the problem when I reboot. It starts up correctly. But when unplugging the US-122 then plugging it back in, the device ID changes. As a matter of fact, unplugging any USB device then plugging it back in causes the device ID to change.

Do you not have that problem?

I'll update the HOWTo with whichever way works best, once we've got it nailed down.

Beans

Thanks for the help,

I have not had the chance to try it out yet, but I definitely will and I will report back soon with my results.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast