Thread: Password reset on Ubuntu USB Install

Beans

Exclamation Password reset on Ubuntu USB Install

I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section. Please forgive me.

I have a problem that I just can't seem to figure out.

I was given a copy of ubuntu that is running on a bootable USB stick. Unfortunately, the person who gave me this USB installed copy gave me the wrong password for root. Everything they have told me to try has failed, and I cannot get root access on the installation.

If it were a basic installation, I would just reinstall and forget about it, but this particular installation has some tools on in that I cannot get access to otherwise.

The grub menu is set for a 0 timeout, so I can't see the menu to select recovery mode in order to change the password. Because it is a bootable USB stick, I also cannot figure out how to access the file system in order to manually copy, edit, and replace the shadow file with the password removed.

Does anyone have a solution to my problem? How can I get to recovery mode on a USB installation with a grub timeout of 0?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Password reset on Ubuntu USB Install

Just making sure.. have you tried holding the shift key down during boot to access the grub menu?
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    Just making sure.. have you tried holding the shift key down during boot to access the grub menu?
    Absolutely. That brings me to the Ubuntu install menu, with no options for recovery or anything similar. If I press F6, I can see some advanced options (nothing for recovery).

Is there any trick from that menu to load the grub menu or some other method of recovery?

Thanks for the reply. I really want to get this figured out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by 90civichb View Post
    Unfortunately, the person who gave me this USB installed copy gave me the wrong password for root.
    Ubuntu doesn't have a password for root, in fact logging in as root is disabled by default.
    Instead have you tried using sudo?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Can you log in as a normal user? If so, and you really need root authority, then you can go into terminal and enter
    Code:
    sudo su
    and it will prompt you for YOUR password instead of the root password (which there shouldn't be anyway, Cheesemill is correct on that point). This command should give you root access that is more complete than using a sudo command.

Please note that most tasks do not require this manner of root authority and simply using separate sudo commands is the preferred method.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    Can you log in as a normal user? If so, and you really need root authority, then you can go into terminal and enter
    Code:
    sudo su
    and it will prompt you for YOUR password instead of the root password (which there shouldn't be anyway, Cheesemill is correct on that point). This command should give you root access that is more complete than using a sudo command.

Please note that most tasks do not require this manner of root authority and simply using separate sudo commands is the preferred method.
    In fact you shouldn't really use 'sudo su' either, it can cause problems.
    The preferred methd is to do:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    Cheesemill