Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12.04 freezes when laptop lid closes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

12.04 freezes when laptop lid closes

Hi all,

Does anyone else have the problem when they close their laptop lid then re-open it, the screen has frozen but the mouse still moves freely?

I have it set so that when the lid is closed, nothing is supposed to happen.

I'm not sure how to report it as a bug manually, as I usually report ones automatically. Also, I wanted to know if others have the same issue before I report it.

Finally, does anyone have a work around or fix for this?

Thanks in advance,
    Baldrick
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans

Re: 12.04 freezes when laptop lid closes

Hey.

Iǜe got that exact same problem. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on my Asus Zenbook and closing the lid causes freeze and sometimes it just freezes when I browse with firefox or chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

same thing happen to me on Ubuntu 11.10. might be related. my setting is suspend on closing lid. but it fails to restart session. my screen flashes white then goes from black to white slowly and doesn't respond.

Beans

Having the same issue (Thinkpad T500). Against which package should we file the bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick_NZ View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone else have the problem when they close their laptop lid then re-open it, the screen has frozen but the mouse still moves freely?

I have it set so that when the lid is closed, nothing is supposed to happen.

I'm not sure how to report it as a bug manually, as I usually report ones automatically. Also, I wanted to know if others have the same issue before I report it.

Finally, does anyone have a work around or fix for this?

Thanks in advance,
    Baldrick
    I actually had this happen today. I've only had it happen once so far though, I wasn't able to reproduce it. When it happened I was able to hit cntrl + alt + f1 to get into a terminal and reboot. After rebooting I tried closing the lid a few times and it was fine :/ I have mine set to suspend on lid close though, I'm not sure if it happened before suspending or after. The screen was black, with a little terminal output stuck on the top right, and I could move the mouse around.

Asus u52f.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; March 4th, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Exclamation Re: 12.04 freezes when laptop lid closes

Having freeze issues with 12.04 when pluggin in/out battery........

damn it critical

Beans

Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5210
    Part NO. PSC0YU-007008

Ubuntu 12.04 beta 1 fresh install. Updates applied. A few of the batches of updates would not load and I selected the 'partial upgrade' option.

When the laptop lid is closed and then reopened the screen is black with the back-light on. The system does not respond to the keyboard or touch-pad. Ctrl+Alt+Del has no effect. If powered off with the power button and restarted, system reboots normally.

I have not found the 12.04 Bug report. Here are a few similar for 11.10

Hard hang on resume from suspend
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/888762

Whenever laptop closes and reopens, the screen will remain black and will not prompt me to log in
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/951519

Suspend fails approx 1/4 of the time.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/957759

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: 12.04 freezes when laptop lid closes

Yesterday's CD Daily Build new install, 20120323, shut lid seemed to go to sleep, raised lid, resumed! First time I've seen that successfully with ubuntu on Acer Aspire 5253 notebook....

Jerry

Beans

Same problem here with Lenovo X220.

I have reported it to here and people who have seen this bug should go and mark themselves as affected users.

Also there seems to be other threads regarding this exactly the same problem. for example: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11830543

Beans

Have you tried using older kernels for example 3.0.0-17? For me the suspending works with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast