Thread: Auto Mount Samba Shares When Connected to Specific Wireless Network

Beans

Auto Mount Samba Shares When Connected to Specific Wireless Network

I'm making this because I couldn't find a concise answer when I was attempting to do this so maybe it will help others.

I have a laptop that I connect to my samba / smb / windows / network file server. Most of my media programs' libraries are linked to the file server folders so it would be nice if the shares would auto mount. Since it is a laptop, and isn't always connected to MY network, I didn't want to use fstab. I figured there should be some way to do this after connected to my wifi networks. I tried for a while and asked for ideas but never could come up with anything. I wrote this script (with a bit copy and pasted for others' scripts) and it works like a charm!

Just copy and past the following code into a blank text document and make sure to make it executable. Then, add it to your startup applications, and you're good to go!

Here is the code:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sleep 3s

gvfs-mount --unmount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/; gvfs-mount --unmount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/; gvfs-mount --unmount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/; gvfs-mount --unmount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/

wifi="'$(/sbin/iwconfig wlan0 | egrep ESSID | cut -d '"' -f 2)'"

if [ $wifi = "'enter your wifi network name here'" ]
        then
            gvfs-mount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/; gvfs-mount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/; gvfs-mount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/; gvfs-mount  smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/

elif [ $wifi = "'enter your wifi network name here'" ]
        then
            gvfs-mount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/;  gvfs-mount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/;  gvfs-mount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/;  gvfs-mount  smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/

fi
    Make sure to keep all quotes when entering your own info. Obiously, if you have more or less number of shares, add or delete gvfs-mount smb://<Server IP Address>/<Share Name>/ as needed.

The sleep is just to make sure your wifi is up and running after boot. Your computer may need a longer (or shorter) sleep period.

The first part of this is to unmount the shares if they are already mounted. I did this because I keep the script on the desktop so it can be run manually. This is useful if the router or server is reset, or some other network error occurs, I can re-mount the shares. When it is run at startup, it just quietly errors without any noticeable effect.

I have 2 wifi networks: a 5ghz and 2.4ghz, both of which I use to connect to my shares. The second wifi network check is only if you have more than one network. If not, you can disregard (delete) it.

Hope this helps!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Auto Mount Samba Shares When Connected to Specific Wireless Network

Or you could use the autofs and automounter.

It only mounts storage when requested through access - so if any program tries to access a file down the mount path where mounting is required, it will be attempted. With smart options, it won't block or lockup the system, but you can set a long timeout period for storage that should always be available.

Autofs is great for any temporary storage - NFS, CIFS, USB drives ... and it doesn't use gvfs (which I want to avoid always for a number of reasons). install autofs, then any storage specific packages (nfs/cifs), modify /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.{mount point}, restart autofs service and be happy. Just don't access storage that isn't available by accident.

Regardless - a script is a nice way to handle this too - though I'd put the credentials into a file that only root could see.