Thread: How to get the Skype UI back after closing it.

Beans

How to get the Skype UI back after closing it.

Hi.

I just installed the 12.04 beta some days ago on a thinkpad x220. As this is my first ubuntu installation ever I ran into a problem which I think can be resolved easily, I just don't know how.

When I close the skype by hitting the red x in the top left corner, the UI dissapears, but the skype process in still running. When I try to restart skype I get the information that another instance is already running. But I did not find a way to recreate the ui. The skype icon dissapears from the launcher and I have to run "pkill skype" to end the process.

Whe I minimize skype the UI also dissapears, but I can always get it back using the launcher Icon which is still there.

My question is: How do I get the skype UI back after hitting the red x? As the process is still running, there should be a solution to this.

Thanks,

Felix

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to get the Skype UI back after closing it.

Isn't there a skype icon somewhere in the panel at the top, assuming you are using unity?

I have no idea how you can configure 12.04, nor 11.10 with unity running as I have given unity a wide birth, and don't use it, but how does skype in 11.10 do it?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You may need to add it to the panel's whitelist for it to show.

dconf-editor is an application that allows you to access and change these configurations so:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
    Once installed run: dconf-editor

Once open navigate to:
    desktop > unity > panel

Then edit the Value for systray-whitelist to add skype. I think it needs a capital S so add 'Skype' after a comma at the end of the current value string.

Close dconf-editor, logout and back in and hopefully a Skype icon will go to the notification area when you hit that close button.

Beans

Well, thank you very much. That did the trick.

Felix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good stuff

Glad I finally managed to help someone rather than being the one with the problem!