Thread: Allow services only through specific IPs

Beans

Allow services only through specific IPs

Hello,

I have a server with 2 Ethernet ports that are enable to different IP addresses. I need to block SSH services on one, but allow from the other side. I also have another service on one side that needs to only run through the one ethernet port. Would I have to do this in network configs or through UFW?

Thanks

Beans

Re: Allow services only through specific IPs

hi,

think you can do that with ufw/iptables.

Beans

You can specify SSH settings in /etc/ssh/sshd_config file including which interfaces/addresses it should bind itself to.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If one of the interfaces connects to the public Internet, it should have a firewall with an INPUT DROP policy to block all incoming connections. Then you can add individual rules to open specific ports.

Code:
    /sbin/iptables -P INPUT DROP
    /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
    The first rule blocks everything by default. The second rule allows SSH connections that arrive on eth1. You might also want to consider whether to block forwarding by default (if you permit forwarding in /etc/sysctl.conf) and only allow packets to be forwarded in specific circumstances. See "man iptables" for details.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users