Thread: DVD Fab 8.1.6.8 in Wine (Ubuntu 11.10)

Beans

DVD Fab 8.1.6.8 in Wine (Ubuntu 11.10)

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this?

I have Ubuntu 11.10 and installed DVDFab 8.1.6.8 (latest version) via Wine 1.4 and ripped a couple of DVD's with no problem whatsoever. I haven't been able to try copying a Blu-ray disk as i don't have a drive for my laptop, i will also have a go at converting a DVD to another file via DVDFab later and get back with the result.

Just wanted to share my result and say that the latest version of DVDFab seems to be working ok in Wine and Ubuntu 11.10; not sure what everyone else's experiences are?

Regards

Dave.

Beans

Re: DVD Fab 8.1.6.8 in Wine (Ubuntu 11.10)

Thread moved to the "Wine" forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It does seem to look alot better than back in the 5* or 6* days. I just installed it in 10.04 and will try it out later. If it works, then it will save me a bunch of time starting up VB and running it in XP.
    The only thing is, even though it accepts my key, it doesn't keep it, and shows that it's a trial copy. I guess I will have to fart around with it some more.
    Last edited by colin.p; March 21st, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by colin.p View Post
    The only thing is, even though it accepts my key, it doesn't keep it, and shows that it's a trial copy. I guess I will have to fart around with it some more.
    I loved DVDFAb in Windows. But you might want to try installing k9copy and libdvdcss2. They're free, native to Linux, and k9copy should be able to do anything that DVDFab can do, including copying a DVD9 to DVD5.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks, I have heard that a couple times, so I went ahead and installed k9copy as well as k3b. I haven't tried k9copy since intrepid, however it does seem to be better polished now, very close to DVDFab quality, as far as looks go. I'll try it out and see how it performs. If it does do what I need, then I may have to relegate DVDFab to my old windows-program archive folder.
    That may be a moot point, however, as now in Canada it is a "capital offense" (punishable by firing squad) to even make backups of your own purchased commercial DVDs.
    Colin
    Registered Linux User #318277
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 25648