Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: gnuddrescue utility script

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    38

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Verner View Post
    I'm interested in including this in Parted Magic by default when you guys think it's ready for the public to use. =D>
    That is awesome! It might be some time before I am happy with it enough for a public release like that. It might be some time before I can find enough time to work on it more due to outside factors. I also will have to see what I will have to do to make it ready for Parted Magic, and check for dependencies. All in due time...

    I am planning on including this new utility in with my original ddrutility. Originally I thought of ddrutility to be a menu driven front end for ddrescue. However, it seems I like to do things backwards and find the hardest things to do first. So I am now thinking that ddrutility might end up being a collection of utilities.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    61

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    I am getting ready for a rescue attempt on a 500G Windows 7 hard drive for my kid. The bad drive will be in an external USB HD enclosure. I have second 1T hard drive, also in an USB enclosure to write whatever I can capture from the bad drive.

    I've burned the 12.04 Ubuntu-rescue-remix to a DVD.

    While I've nosed around Ubuntu a bit, most of my experience has been at the GUI level with minimal work with the command line.

    Is there a tutorial available that will guide me in the next steps? I'm not even sure how to load the latest .sh files noted earlier in this thread.

    While I want to retrieve my kid's files, I want to make sure I am very careful not to stomp all over my primary hard drive on my computer!

    Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

    EDIT:

    Sorry. Missed the documentation pages on the Ubuntu-Rescue-Remix webpage. From reading there, it sounds like the HD's NTFS Boot Sector needs to be repaired with TestDisk. I'll try that first and if that fails try the script here.

    Haven't found it yet, but I assume the docs will show how to load and run the .sh if I need to do so.
    Last edited by Steve00; November 5th, 2012 at 01:17 AM.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    38

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve00 View Post
    I am getting ready for a rescue attempt on a 500G Windows 7 hard drive for my kid. The bad drive will be in an external USB HD enclosure. I have second 1T hard drive, also in an USB enclosure to write whatever I can capture from the bad drive.

    I've burned the 12.04 Ubuntu-rescue-remix to a DVD.

    While I've nosed around Ubuntu a bit, most of my experience has been at the GUI level with minimal work with the command line.

    Is there a tutorial available that will guide me in the next steps? I'm not even sure how to load the latest .sh files noted earlier in this thread.

    While I want to retrieve my kid's files, I want to make sure I am very careful not to stomp all over my primary hard drive on my computer!

    Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

    EDIT:

    Sorry. Missed the documentation pages on the Ubuntu-Rescue-Remix webpage. From reading there, it sounds like the HD's NTFS Boot Sector needs to be repaired with TestDisk. I'll try that first and if that fails try the script here.

    Haven't found it yet, but I assume the docs will show how to load and run the .sh if I need to do so.
    If it ends up that you need to perform a rescue, then you really need to look at the help pages for gnuddrescue and figure out how to use that first as it will do what you need. If you search some there are probably also many questions and answers how to use it. It is a great rescue utility that works fine by itself, and my software is just an extension to be used with it as desired.

    As I look at my posts, I realize I did not make something clear. My programs are based on the user already knowing how to use ddrescue. I am sorry to say that my latest test release is not a stand alone utility and also is not for the beginner. While I do really appreciate any willing users to test it, it is not yet ready or documented well enough for someone that is not familiar with using ddrescue to jump into. It will just cause you to ask more questions.

    With that being said, there are some very basic instructions in the help file about how to run .sh files.
    Last edited by maximus57; November 5th, 2012 at 05:14 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Beans
    61

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    Thanks for the explanation about your utility. Based upon this info and what I've read so far, I THINK the best strategy will be to image the file with gnuddrescue, so I have a backup, and then try running TestDisk to recreate the NTFS Boot Sector (When trying to mount the drive in Windows, we get: "The drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?".

    That way if TestDisk fixes the problem, I'm done. If not, I've got the gnuddrescue image to try to extract the data from.

    Does this plan seem reasonable?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    38

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve00 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation about your utility. Based upon this info and what I've read so far, I THINK the best strategy will be to image the file with gnuddrescue, so I have a backup, and then try running TestDisk to recreate the NTFS Boot Sector (When trying to mount the drive in Windows, we get: "The drive is not formatted, do you want to format it now?".

    That way if TestDisk fixes the problem, I'm done. If not, I've got the gnuddrescue image to try to extract the data from.

    Does this plan seem reasonable?
    That sounds like an excellent plan. You will have a full backup to work with if the original can't be repaired. Just a side note... if the data is important enough and it isn't recovering easy, sometimes it is even a good idea to make a backup of the backup to work with, if it should get to that point

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    38

    Finally getting back to working on it, but could use new home for project

    I ended up having to work some crazy overtime at my job for awhile, and so have not worked on this project for a few months or so. I have very recently had a career change with much more reasonable hours, and am now in the process of self learning the C programming language in my spare time so I can advance with this project.

    But I am wondering where the best place for my project home should be. I started here on the Ubuntu forum because it was easy and the posts stay for years on here. But it is not the proper place for software development. I would like a home that has a forum or such for discussion of bugs and ideas, but something that doesn't require much maintenance by myself. Any suggestions?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    Try Sourceforge! I find many useful things there, but I have no own page (so I don't know how easy it is to create one).

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    5

    Talking Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    Just wanted to give some encouragement for the project - ddrutility has been very useful for me. I do wish it ran faster (it took nearly a full day to process all my bad sectors), so please don't give up if you can optimize it!

    Thanks!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    38

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    Quote Originally Posted by mobodo View Post
    Just wanted to give some encouragement for the project - ddrutility has been very useful for me. I do wish it ran faster (it took nearly a full day to process all my bad sectors), so please don't give up if you can optimize it!

    Thanks!
    I have definitely not given up. But the project is at a crawl right now while my brain tries to learn how to code C. I am trying to learn it fast, and that doesn't always work out so well. I have lots of ideas of what I would like to do, but the more I want to do the more complicated it gets. And for some reason, I always seem to jump to the hard things to do.

    On a side note, I would like to say one of the last things I did in bash script was to recover individual files from a damaged NTFS drive using ddrescue. It was a multi-step process, but it worked great, except it took way too long, hence the learning C to make fast enough to be usable.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    2

    Re: gnuddrescue utility script

    I just joined the forum to say thanks for your work so far, this project is well worth a high five!

    Edit i just tried to install :ddrutility_1.6-1_all.deb in ubuntu 12.04 and got a few missing libs which are not easy for me to install.

    All these are 404
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/....09-1_i386.deb
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...6.11-1_all.deb
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...1.2-1_i386.deb
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...1.2-1_i386.deb

    All these are the latest. After downloading, package manager just says "unknown error"

    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/....22-1_i386.deb
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...6.39-1_all.deb
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu1_i386.deb
    http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu1_i386.deb

    Maybe its easy to update the .deb package ?
    Last edited by tratb9; June 1st, 2013 at 10:21 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •