Thread: Installing Intel integrated graphics driver Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Installing Intel integrated graphics driver Ubuntu 11.04

Hi, I'm new to the community as of this post and need a little guidance. I recently installed (or so I think I did) the latest driver for my Intel graphics card because I was experiencing intermittent low-resolution start-ups.. the desktop and icons were really big as if I were in "safe-mode" under windows. After installing the new driver, Ubuntu seems to load properly most of the time, but every once in a while reverts back to the issue I was having before, in which I have to restart my computer a few times back-to-back-to-back until it loads correctly. When I run the lspci -k command I notice there are two Kernal modules. Could this be the cause of the now less irritating yet still existing problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

$lspci -k

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Dell Device 0160
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: intelfb, i915

Dell dimension 2400 1GB ram.

Beans

Re: Installing Intel integrated graphics driver Ubuntu 11.04

Oh, and please let me know if I'm in the wrong area for this question. I'll get the hang of the forums hopefully soon

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi ,
    How did you installed the drivers for your graphics ? From system ? open a terminal and write
    Code:
    jockey-gtk
    what you see ? are the [Recommended] drivers activate ? .

Also you can install the latest drivers for your G.Card from a ppa. Give these commands in terminal
    Code:
    sudo add-apt repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    press enter when ask . Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    These commands will add a ppa to your software sources and will update your drivers with the latest.
    If something go wrong or for any other reason you want to remove it , go to your software sources (update manager-->settings-->other software ) and remove ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates . Then do in terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

Beans

Thanks NikTh for responding in such timely manner.

The driver was installed from a pre-compiled package using the Software Center.. probably a mistake since it's painfully slow and hangs all the time.

Jockey-gtk showed no proprietary drivers not in use so I added the PPA manually since the terminal said the add-apt command couldn't be found (odd?) I ran the "update" and "dist-upgrade" commands and all seemed ok, meaning my monitor didn't blow up or anything

Is a restart needed for changes to take effect? How can I tell if the driver was replaced by a new one?
    Last edited by KennyJack; March 20th, 2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Added last question to the reply

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Intel drivers are Open Source, so they won't show up in 'additional Drivers' (restricted drivers) and is installed by default.

If you added the PPA to get a newer version, you need to restart before it takes effect.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans

Restarted... it worked! I've restarted 6 times now and no issues-- the display even seems to be more clear and smooth. Well done and thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    Intel drivers are Open Source, so they won't show up in 'additional Drivers' (restricted drivers) and is installed by default.
    Ohhh man , where was my head ?? hah.. you have absolutely right.
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

Beans

the (sudo add-apt repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates)command doesnt work for me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ky2391 View Post
    the (sudo add-apt repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates)command doesnt work for me

right command :
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates