Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What company could top Apple in build quality and market share?

Beans

Re: What company could top Apple in build quality and market share?

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    It is somewhat correct. The components in Apple gear aren't necessarily better than their competitors. For example the first batch of Macbooks offered with SSDs used the same awful Samsung drives that Dell were offering. At the time they were the worst-performing SSDs available, and I presume the reason they were used is the same reason Dell used them: that they were the only ones available in sufficient quantity.

While I agree that generally their gear is aimed at the luxury end of the market and thus normally of good quality, they are forced to source their parts through the same channels as everybody else, and do compromise on quality if they have to. They don't have access to any kind of "special sauce" that others don't.
    An Audi and Lada are essentially the similar as your example but they are by no means the same.

Design, specification, quality control etc are very important.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Design, specification, quality control etc are very important.
    Of course, but my point is that Apple don't hold a monopoly on any of that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
    Apple just sold 3 million iPad 3s in the past 4 days. So I would assume around 1 billion in profit.

What company can take on Apple in build quality and maybe even surpass them?

I do not think Samsung could.
    When Nokia get a windows 8 tablet out then we will see a real iPad killer, samsung for me doesn't really have amazing bvuild quality and lookings at my Nokia E7 I can trust Nokia when it comes to build quality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    I'll take it one step further. Cell "phones" are becoming quad core powerhouses that will do most everyday things very quickly. A lot of people will migrate to portable alternatives. This is just the beginning.
    I wonder if Motorola has the idea to extend/embrace (but not extinguish) the fondleslab. Something like their lapdock.

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...dock-100-US-EN

If something like this were to become ubiquitous, anyone needing to do more on their phone than a touch screen supported could find the nearest dock, plug in, do whatever, save, undock and go on their way. The docking station could not remember anything that was done on it and would have to be dumb enough or locked down enough that no one could install any sort of logging or capture software. The docking station would not have any connection to the outside world and could not store anything from any user.

Will Motorola be like Xerox PARC and the GUI? Time will tell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by DS McGuire View Post
    When Nokia get a windows 8 tablet out then we will see a real iPad killer, samsung for me doesn't really have amazing bvuild quality and lookings at my Nokia E7 I can trust Nokia when it comes to build quality.
    Rooting for Microsoft on a Linux forum? Never thought I'd see that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Of course, but my point is that Apple don't hold a monopoly on any of that.
    No they don't, they just do it better than most.
    This account is not active.

Beans

I think the obvious answers are google and amazon. If they release a 10" kindle fire it would be a serious competitor to the ipad overnight. Everyone in the world for the most part uses google products. If manufacturers can release a definitive android phone and make it abundantly clear that its a google prduct then watch out apple.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I think the obvious answers are google and amazon. If they release a 10" kindle fire it would be a serious competitor to the ipad overnight. Everyone in the world for the most part uses google products. If manufacturers can release a definitive android phone and make it abundantly clear that its a google prduct then watch out apple.
    Amazon will never challenge Apple for business reasons: the way they make money is diametrically opposed to Apple. Apple is a high-margin retailer who uses software to move hardware. Amazon is a low-margin retailer who loses money on hardware to move electronic books, songs, and the like. Amazon has no interest in competing with Apple the hardware maker, as it's orthogonal to the way they make money. They do compete with the iTunes Music/Movie/TV store, but that's it.

Google can't compete with Apple for similar reasons: completely different business strategies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I do not think that apple is better. Otherwise they would not make a point of giving only 1 year guarantee in countries where 2 years is a legal obligation (with court cases as a consequence).
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Disney.
    another company that produces products with almost no originally and massive lawyer support. and multitudes of loyal fans that have to have the new product with no idea why it is better or even different than what they have now.

Disney could take Apple in a brainwashing and pretty product biannual release schedule.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast