Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice

Beans

I need some advice

Hi everyone!! I am a new Linux user! So... I have had some trouble with ubuntu 11.04, and im still using windows, but i definitely want to switch to Linux.

I work with PHP and MySQL a lot (and sometimes C++) and i was wondering which distro fits better for me, i did some research and found out that almost all dristo are good for that kind of job, and i also want to learn more about Linux, my friends told me to install Gentoo and i know that Gentoo is good for learning but it is way too hard for me, i spent all day trying to install this beast but i couldn't get it to work after all.

So i decided to try Ubuntu again, i'm pretty sure that i did something wrong when i was trying to install Ubuntu for the first time, maybe my installation file was corrupt or something like that.

So besides my work with webdevlopment i just surf the web, watch videos on youtube and i play Dofus which is built in Java so... What do you guys think?

Beans

Re: I need some advice

Welcome to the forums! If you'd like to tell us about "some trouble with ubuntu" then maybe we can help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Ubuntu!

As you probably know, there are several linux distros available. Fortunately, most offer a "live mode" where you can boot into and use linux right from the CD. Give a few a try and see how you like the looks of them. Some of the more popular ones are Ubuntu (or course), Linux Mint (based off of Ubuntu), or Fedora. These are just a few of them.

What exactly went wrong when you tried to install Ubuntu? Can you provide more details so that the community can help you through it? If you are used to Windows, any flavor of linux can be new and intimidating, but with some patience and a desire to learn a new operating system, you will do fine. Most of us started using Windows before linux, so we know where you are coming from .

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome

I suggest that you describe you computer (you have already described what you want to do), cpu, ram, graphics chip or card, wifi or wired internet...

There are several versions of Ubuntu (time-wise) and flavours (desktop-environment-wise), and I suggest that you try several of them live. Download the iso files and make boot CD/USB drives to test before installing!

Beans

Thank you guys!! I just tried the "live mode" but it didn't work, it keeps loading forever, i didn't try the live mode before so i guess my DVD is not working! I don't remember which versions it is, maybe 10.10. So this time i downloaded the 11.10 32bit version and burned it and the live mode is working fine now.

My PC configuration is:
    Pentium(R) 4 2.8GHZ
    2048MB RAM DDR2
    Motherboard: PW-945GCX
    Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024MB
    wired internet

I have 2 HD's:
    SANSUMG HD 80GB
    ST 80GB

Kinda old but still good for me!

What is the best way to partition my HD's?
    Will i need a SWAP?

Thanks!

Beans

Glad that 11.10 is working OK for you!

The default partitioning scheme is:

swap partition equal to or greater than your RAM
    / partition ("root" partition not to be confused with "root user") with the ext4 format using the rest of the space.

If you have different partitioning needs (for example: you want to dual-boot with Windows, or you want a separate /home partition, or ____) then please be specific.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

yeap Ubuntu should be good for you.

I also dev with mysql/php and played dofus for a few years (good memories!) in ubuntu.

cant play anymore because of work. But yeap you're great candidate for linux.

ubuntu has the biggest community, so you will always find help much easier.

also this here guide should help:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

and check some resources like

-the full circle ubuntu magazine (free)
    http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

-and ubuntu updates here:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/
    Last edited by madjr; March 19th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

I have an old Dell Dimension with specs like that, and I've come to find that Ubuntu (Natty Narwhal, specifically) works best really on that kind of hardware.

Alas, if you want to shoot for a more recent version (or even alpha), feel free; it's your dinosaur! Beware too much Unity, though, as it has a dirty habit of making your life heck on old computers.

Live Disk is generally slow just because your CD/DVD drive isn't nearly as efficient with reading data as a hard drive is. If you're shooting for a hard install straight to HD, I'd recommend keeping your Windows and Ubuntu partitions on separate drives, that way if one drive completely crashes or whatnot, you still have a functional OS (after you fixboot and fixmbr accordingly, but that's for later years )

Here's a link to how you can automount your other hard drive once you install:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...utomount+fstab

Happy Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

unity 2d should fair ok
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a 3.2 gHz Pentium IV with 1.5 GB and I run Ubuntu 12.04 Beta. I am happy with it and in my opinion it is already better (faster and more reliable) then Ubuntu 11.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast