Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trying to rescue Mac drive...

Beans

trying to rescue Mac drive...

...I just pulled a failing drive out of an iMac. It doesn't mount in either Mac OS X or Windows 7, but it does in Ubuntu. Now, though, I need to access the files, and I'm getting ownership/privilege issues. When I try to chmod or chown, I get an error that the file system is read-only.

This mounted automatically; can someone tell me how to dismount and remount to get access to the data?

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: trying to rescue Mac drive...

If you run "sudo nautilus", it should let you copy the files to another drive. From there you should be able to chown them.

Beans

OK, I just ran that command, and got a couple of errors:

1. in the terminal, I got a message that Syncdaemon isn't running, and missing callback etc.

2. I got a pop-up saying that Nautilus could not create the required folder "/root/.config/nautilus"

Any ideas on this?

And, do I gather that I'll have to do the copy from the terminal? I can do that (if I can get the destination pathname right; It's just easier if done drag-and-drop.

Thank you for your help.

winh8r is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Launch nautilus by using

Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Nautilus will allow you to move the files by drag and drop.

Beans

Thank you. That looks more promising.

Now...I have a lot of stuff on this drive, and my ubuntu system currently has a pretty small SSD. What would be *really* slick (and I know this is probably asking for a lot) is if I could transfer all the files on the drive to a shared drive on my Mac.

I'm trying this right now, and it's still giving me some error messages about files that can't copy because of permissions. There are 34GB in her folder, and it says it's copying 4.3 GB (I did a "skip all"). So, assuming some of the stuff doesn't copy over, what can I do with permissions/ownership/whatever to get the rest? Would I use the properties to change the permissions?

Thanks so much...this looked hopeless a few hours ago, but now we have a fighting chance to get her data back. (And trust me, we'll be doing backups from now on.)

Beans

Actually, I think I have a better idea -- I can mount the failing drive inside my ubuntu box, along with a new disk I got today (intended for backups for the sick Mac). I can do an internal copy, then pull the disk out and connect it to the Mac for copying.

I still will have to get around this issue of permissions, though. How do I go about setting the permissions for an entire volume (or at least, everything on it)?

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm sure I seem a bit scattered, but it's been one of those days.

Beans

EDIT: Der... never mind. Just re-read your post and saw you were going to do what I suggested.

That's what I get for skimming!

Sorry!
    Last edited by MisterGaribaldi; March 17th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.

Beans

I got two new drives today. One is in the sick Mac, and is its new system disk. The other, I'm going to put in the ubuntu box, along with the sick drive, and do a disk-to-disk copy. (Somehow, the sick drive seems OK when mounted to ubuntu.)

Then, the plan is to remove the drive I just bought (actually, I'll probably remove both of them), and connect the new drive to the sick Mac. Mac has a utility called Migration Assistant, which should help me get all the (non system) stuff from newDrive2 onto newDrive1.

*Then,* I erase newDrive2, reformat it and begin running Time Machine on it.

Any gotchas that you can see? I'm pretty sure I don't have any super-huge files.

The only thing I need to understand to make this happen, is how to chown/chmod the *entire* sick drive, so that access control doesn't thwart my plan.

Thanks.

Beans

If you format the new HDD as FAT32, you shouldn't have to worry about permissions, coming out the other end of the copy process.

In any event, if at all possible, I'd recommend not messing with the files on the bad HDD. Just copy them, lest you risk corruption due to changes and the bad state of that drive to begin with.

Good luck!

Beans

Well, I should have known that my last idea was too optimistic to work. The system reported "imminent" device failure. So, I left newDisk2 in the box, and am again connecting sickDisk via USB (that's how I saw it last time.)

So...what's the command/app for "seeing" these devices? There's a device manager somewhere, right? I'm going to make a last-ditch effort to pull some stuff off of sickDisk here.

I'll return my attention to permissions once I see the devices in ubuntu again.

EDIT: OK, I ran nautilus again, and now I see sickDisk. I still don't see newDisk2, though. What am I doing wrong?

BTW: I still can't change permissions on files using nautilus and going to their properties. Or at least, my attempts are failing. I keep getting messages about a read-only file system.
    Last edited by mzimmers; March 17th, 2012 at 02:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast