Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11.10 - system not responsive

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Unhappy 11.10 - system not responsive

I just ran updates to make sure my 11.10 kubuntu install was current. It asked me to reboot and I did so. Upon logging in, I noticed that it change my wallpaper. Odd.

I then noticed that the majority (but not all) of things I try to interact with in the GUI do not respond. Dragging the windows that I had left open during my last session won't work. I click on the K Menu to no avail. I can, however, minimize and restore the open dolphin windows.

Using CTRL+ALT+F6, I dropped into a shell, and ran "top". Nothing seems to be hogging resources.

I don't get it. Why isn't the GUI responding to my inputs?

I'm really growing tired of spending hours fixing my system every time I attempt to do an update. I need to get work done but instead I get to track down stupid issues.

Beans
    Distro

Re: 11.10 - system not responsive

$20 paypal reward to anyone who can figure out this issue before I go to bed.

Beans
    Distro

I don't even know where to start with this issue. Maybe if I delete my .kde folder?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You don't provide technical information about your system, so I am basically just guessing. Could it be an issue with the video driver? Are you running on open source or proprietary drivers?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    You don't provide technical information about your system, so I am basically just guessing. Could it be an issue with the video driver? Are you running on open source or proprietary drivers?
    That's possible.

I'm running a low end nvidia card, and iirc, I'm running the proprietary nvidia drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kooldino View Post
    That's possible.

I'm running a low end nvidia card, and iirc, I'm running the proprietary nvidia drivers.
    if it is like 4 generations behind the current, then the opensource drivers should support it well.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by idoitprone View Post
    if it is like 4 generations behind the current, then the opensource drivers should support it well.
    So you think if I login via the command line, remove the driver, and install the OS one, it will work?

Anyone happen to know the name of current version of the OS nvidia driver?

Beans
    Distro

So I removed nvidia-common and logged in, but the problem persists. It's been DAYS, and I really need to get my machine running.

Beans
    Distro

I'm truly baffled. Clicking on almost anything nets no response. However, the following things still work:

-If I move my cursor up to the upper-left corner of the screen, it will go into expose. From there, I can select or close the window of my choice.
    -I can click on the taskbar to minimize and restore windows.
    -The "run command" dialog sort of works. I can get it to come up, but the cursor doesn't blink and it won't accept keyboard input.
    -Alt+tab works fine. Here's where it gets really odd. If I bring up the run dialog and attempt to type, no characters appear. However, if I alt tab out of it and come back, the characters that I had previously typed are there. So it IS technically accepting the keyboard input, but it's simply not drawing it until I refresh it.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, after even more tinkering, I figured out that I can in fact click on anything I want, but I don't get to see the results of my interaction until i force the screen to redraw (by triggering expose, for example).

Anyway, here's what I found out about my graphics card/driver:

I have an nvidia 8400GS card running the nvidia_173 driver (although it said it wasn't currently loaded, despite it being shown as active). I went to enable the other nvidia driver in the list and it told me there was an error and to check /var/log/jockey.log

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast