Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WNDA 4100 (NetGear N900) Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Beans

WNDA 4100 (NetGear N900) Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Greetings all.

This is my very first post in these forums. I installed Ubuntu 11.10 about a week ago, and I have to say that I am utterly in love with Linux. I learn and adapt very quickly, and having reached my breaking point of tolerance with Windows (in any version), I finally took the plunge into the Linux world. I've spent every free moment since install exploring and familiarizing myself with this amazing OS. I can say with absolute definitiveness now that I will NEVER go back to Winblows.

Having said that, there is one piece of hardware that Ubuntu did not detect, and presently remains useless : My NetGear N900 Dual Band Wireless Adapter. I've been scourering forums and websites looking for a means of getting this piece of hardware working with 11.10, to no avail. I've tried fake installing the drivers via Wine (actually I even downloaded the source code for Wine 1.3 and modified it for better USB detection, complied it, then installed it, without success), and even installing on another computer, then copying the files, then using Windows Wireless Drivers (Ndiswrapper) to find the INF file to make use of the drivers, without success. No matter what I do, this adapter is not able to be utilized.

The adapter, even though it cannot be used, is indeed being detected by Ubuntu, as the following info verifies:

lsusb:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0846:9012 NetGear, Inc.

It is a Ralink-based chipset.

If anyone happens to know if there is any possible way of getting this adapter to function under Ubuntu 11.10, I'd be ridiculously grateful if they could point me in the right direction. If there is not yet support for this adapter, is there a way to request support somewhere?

Thanks much for any suggestions or advice.
    Last edited by Immortal Nexus; March 18th, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: WNDA 4100 (NetGear N900) Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Hi,

AFAIK there is no Linux driver there for this device. See here:

http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA4100

Two possibilities:
    1. Ask Ralink, which of there drivers may work, and compile it by hand (we will help you )
    2. Try the windows driver with ndiswrapper: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

Any driver disk? Something on it looking like "Linux"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    Hi,

AFAIK there is no Linux driver there for this device. See here:

http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDA4100

Two possibilities:
    1. Ask Ralink, which of there drivers may work, and compile it by hand (we will help you )
    2. Try the windows driver with ndiswrapper: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...er/Ndiswrapper

Any driver disk? Something on it looking like "Linux"?
    Thanks for the reply. I did already try Ndiswrapper with the Windows drivers, without success. So, if I were to go about compiling my own drivers, how might I begin this task? It's interesting...NetGear has no Linux support, yet Ralink does have a tar.bz2 file for Linux to compile. I will certainly do my own homework on how to compile these drivers, but any assistance would be immensely appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

In 11.10 you need to copy this file:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/modules.conf /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf
    Check:

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    dmesg | grep ndis
    iwconfig
    lsmod

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    In 11.10 you need to copy this file:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/modules.conf /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper.conf
    Check:

Code:
    ndiswrapper -l
    dmesg | grep ndis
    iwconfig
    lsmod
    I've pretty much set it into my head at the moment to build Linux native drivers from source provided by Ralink, but I'm feeling a bit in over my head at the moment, as I need to set variables that I don't know enough about yet to set properly. I've attached the readme file for compiling the source. I've been trying to follow instructions for compiling drivers for another USB adapter that also uses a Ralink chipset, but when in the driver source directory I'm unable to ./configure or sudo make. I'm determined to do this...lol.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Immortal Nexus; March 19th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.

Beans

If this helps at all (to see the structure and content of the driver root directory), here is the tarball from Ralink's site for this chipset.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

OK, I've been reading hordes of posts and experimenting. I ran checkinstall in the terminal from the driver root directory, and I got further than I had in previous attempts, but had an error at the end. Here is the output:

Code:
    Installing with make install...

========================= Installation results ===========================
    make -C /home/tydynrain/Desktop/Ralink/Drivers/os/linux -f Makefile.6 install
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tydynrain/Desktop/Ralink/Drivers/os/linux'
    rm -rf /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
    mkdir /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA
    cp /home/tydynrain/Desktop/Ralink/Drivers/RT2870STA.dat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/.
    install -d /lib/modules/3.0.0-16-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    install -m 644 -c rt2870sta.ko /lib/modules/3.0.0-16-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
    install: cannot stat `rt2870sta.ko': No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tydynrain/Desktop/Ralink/Drivers/os/linux'
    make: *** [install] Error 2

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.
    So the rt2870sta.ko module was not found, or could not be created, and hence not installed properly. Any ideas?

Beans

I also have this device and I would love for it to work. Any progress?
    enzo@reboot:~$ whatis The_Meaning_Of_Life
    The_Meaning_Of_Life: 42

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a plan! It is untested because I don't have the same device. I also have no idea if it will work at N speeds or even work at all. If you'd like to proceed, please verify that you have the same device:
    Code:
    lsusb
    If so, hook up the ethernet temporarily and get the file RT5572USB from here: http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_supp...ort.php?sn=501

We also need to install the compiling tools:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
    Of course, you could buy any number of inexpensive well-supported devices as well.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I have this device as well and I've trying to compile the same driver but to no avail. Modprobe -l shows that the driver is installed, but that hasn't helped me.
    I would love to get this working, has anyone had any luck with this?

I know there are other supported devices out there, but I haven't found any other dual band 450mps usb adapters that work either.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast