Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WNDA 4100 (NetGear N900) Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: WNDA 4100 (NetGear N900) Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Yeah, that's what I didn't get at first. I thought entering that was so that I could get support for the product.

So, I'm super noob but after some poking around on the interwebz to figure out how to install a tar.bz2 package I have to have an installer installed. Unfortunately to get this installer I have to be connected to the internet. I had another USB Wifi card lying around but I'm having trouble getting connected with that one too.

I'm tired of things being a pain in the *** to actually get working on Ubuntu.

I've got the tar.bz2 file on my desktop computer right now but how do I install it if I don't have access to the internet to get an installer?

No, I don't have a possibility of wiring in to the router. I tried sharing the connection from my laptop, but that wasn't working, it was a never ending cycle of connecting and disconnecting.

Ubuntu really isn't easy if I don't already know what I'm doing.

So, my super noob *** needs to figure out how to install this freaking driver.

Thanks for being patient with me guys. I'm not computer illiterate (at least I don't think I am) I've built my own, and done plenty of graphic design, audio production etc. but when it comes to Linux I feel like my grandma using a computer.

Beans

Thank You Chili555, my WNDA4100 works great.

Beans

To anyone who tried everything in this thread and is still having trouble with this, there is a bug in the way this driver handles sk_buff structures on 64-bit systems that was causing a kernel panic when any packets over a certain size were sent. I wrote a patch for it that you can grab here:

https://github.com/ashaffer/rt3573sta

I'll email ralink and hopefully they'll have an official version of this soon, but in the meantime you can use mine.

Beans

Very cool, thanks for posting this darawk.

I know it's hard to say, but do you think that bug could have caused a recurring system crash after a day or two of use? That's a problem I've been having with the n900.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ericosaurus View Post
    Very cool, thanks for posting this darawk.

I know it's hard to say, but do you think that bug could have caused a recurring system crash after a day or two of use? That's a problem I've been having with the n900.
    That seems like it could be possible. For me the bug manifested almost immediately - I could connect to my local network, and I could send ping packets out, but as soon as I tried to send anything larger it would crash. If you grep your syslog for 'panic' and you see something that looks like this:

[ 148.889884] skbuff: skb_over_panic: text:ffffffff81568980 len:1523 put:105 head:ffff8801d01a7000 data:ffff8801d01a70ac tail:0xd01a769f end:0x640 dev:<NULL>

Then my patch should help you, otherwise your problem may be different. Either way it's probably worth a try with my version if you're having consistent problems.

Beans

Following chili555's instruction on page 4 of this thread I was able to get my adapter to work on my PC.

One day ago, however, it just decided to stop working for me. A disconnected from network notification would flash up when I logged in.

The solution I found was to repeat the last few steps of chili555's instructions:

Code:

sudo su 
    make 
    make install 
    modprobe rt3573sta 
    exit
    I think I was repeating some un-necessary steps, but my wirless is working again anyway!

Beans

Thanks for the fix darawk. I had been using a different card with ndiswrapper that would drop connection quite a bit. I went back to searching for getting this card working and found your post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darawk View Post
    [...] I wrote a patch for it that you can grab here: https://github.com/ashaffer/rt3573sta [...]
    Thank you, I'm using your version for a TRENDnet TEW-684UB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thumbs up Re: WNDA 4100 (NetGear N900) Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Built a new system and wanted to place wireless internet on it.
    Was really stumped, not understanding the differences in the use of similar words.
    This thread made it a whole lot easier.
    When i went to purchase the wifi the store personnel recommended the Netgear 600 as being virtually plug and play.
    Made an assumption if that would work the higher rate NetGear 4100 would work, nope.
    Drivers on the disc were Windows only.

Followed the instructions in this thread and it works great.
    Compile, a scary word to some of us, could not have been easier.

I've made paper copies of the instructions and re-do for the kernel changes and will be delivering them to the store which sold me the device.
    Maybe it will help some other knucklehead as well.

Thanks to all.
    Keep the dreams of your youth and trust to luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Hi!
    I followed the instructions here and it seems to be working.

Just for comparison I would like to try windows drivers throgh ndiswrapper but I'm getting some trouble in getting it working.

First thing I did was to blacklist linux module putting 'blacklist rt3573sta' in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.
    Then I installed the driver in ndiswrapper through .inf with:
    Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i netr28ux.inf
    All seems fine 'cause:
    Code:
    $ lsusb | grep NetGear
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0846:9012 NetGear, Inc. WNDA4100 802.11abgn 3x3:3 [Ralink RT3573]
    $ sudo depmod -a
    $ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    $ lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper           283323  0 
    $ sudo ndiswrapper -l
    netr28ux : driver installed
    ...but the adapter doesn't appear neither in ifconfig and iwconfig.

Any idea?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast