Thread: Is this infraction worthy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is this infraction worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by cotcot View Post
    I do not think that apple is better. Otherwise they would not make a point of giving only 1 year guarantee in countries where 2 years is a legal obligation (with court cases as a consequence).
    I really don't like it when people try to derail a thread with off-topic rants. Especially when they have limited knowledge about what they are talking about.

The 2 year EU-mandated limited warranty applies to any product sold to a consumer. The thing that most people miss is that after 6 months after purchase the burden of proofing defect in the product is on the buyer not seller (Apple = seller).

The limited manufacture's warranty (1 year in Apple's case) is a separate warranty that might have some overlap to the EU-mandated warranty but it is entirely up to the manufacture if they want to offer it.
    On top of that warranty Apple offers Applecare which extends the time and problems it covers.

So there is no way that Apple can simply decide not to offer the EU-mandated warranty. What they don't have to offer is the limited manufacture's warranty and Applecare.
    I did receive an infraction for a previous version of the above post. I'm not debating that since it was a little harsh to the poster. That post was deleted.

The above post is version 2. I see nothing that could be deemed as infringing of the CoC.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Is this infraction worthy?

Before I focus on the specifics of your post and the resultant infraction, let me put them into some sort of context.

As has been said many times here before, warnings and infractions serve to remind those who receive them of the forum Code of Conduct. Only a small minority of members ever receive a warning or infraction, and of those who do, most modify their posting style and receive no further warnings/infractions. You, on the other hand, have managed to collect quite a number during your time in the forum, many for insulting other members. It would appear that you are not taking heed of earlier incidents.

In this particular instance, you received an infraction for a now-jailed post which was identical to the one quoted in your post here, except that it included the words, "Like you" and, "So let me educate you." I'm surprised that you appear to think that removing the words, "Like you" made the post any less insulting to the member whom you quote. The sentences, "I really don't like it when people try to derail a thread with off-topic rants. Especially when they have limited knowledge about what they are talking about," coming immediately after a quote, give the impression that they are directed at the quoted member. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous, in my opinion.

In the circumstances, I agree with both the infractions and the number of points given. However, there is one matter which may need further consideration. You have now garnered sufficient non-expiring infraction points to put you on permanent moderation. Whether some of your non-expiring infraction points should be converted to expiring ones is something that I would be sympathetic to. Perhaps another admin may wish to comment.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I agree with coffeecat.
    It's not smart to give a false quotation when representing your case and the three pages of infraction doesn't talk for your case either.

However I'm willingly to put a time limit on 1-2 infractions of the non-expiring infractions and call it a last chance. Then be careful how you addressing people and how you debating with others.

Lets see what the rest of the admins have to say.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    However I'm willingly to put a time limit on 1-2 infractions of the non-expiring infractions and call it a last chance. Then be careful how you addressing people and how you debating with others.
    Seems reasonable, but again I expect no further violations of the Code of Conduct.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I have reversed 3 infractions. The limitation of your account is no more.
    See this a as last chance, next time we'll close your account.
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; March 23rd, 2012 at 09:11 AM.