Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless mouse not recognized at startup or reboot...

Beans

Re: Wireless mouse not recognized at startup or reboot...

Quote Originally Posted by treesurf View Post
    I agree this sounds like a problem with the Darkfield tech. My wireless Logitech mouse that doesn't have the Darkfield tech works just fine.
    exactly.. confirmed bug again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I called up logitech and they're replacing my Anywhere mouse. I never had problems with it until I used it on Ubuntu 12.04.

Even though I think I know the answer, I'm going to ask anyway: Is it at all possible that "Ubuntu" could have fried the transmitter?
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Even though I think I know the answer, I'm going to ask anyway: Is it at all possible that "Ubuntu" could have fried the transmitter?
    Yep. Last year, I nuked a BT dongle while working on BT authentication for legacy devices -- which also fried the attached HID keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NHclimber View Post
    Yep. Last year, I nuked a BT dongle while working on BT authentication for legacy devices -- which also fried the attached HID keyboard
    So is it possible that "Ubuntu" (or the Kernel) is frying all these mice using the Darkfield technology? I find it curious that others are having this problem, but worse that the mice also suddenly don't work on OS or MAC? Is there a correlation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Does the mouse show up in dmesg? I don't have a Logitech mouse, but when I use the following command:

Code:
    dmesg | grep Microsoft
    I get the following output:

cariboo@alexis:~$ dmesg | grep Microsoft
    [ 1.533834] input: Microsoft Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse\xffffffc2\xffffffae\xffffffae 1.0A as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.0/input/input2

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    So is it possible that "Ubuntu" (or the Kernel) is frying all these mice using the Darkfield technology? I find it curious that others are having this problem, but worse that the mice also suddenly don't work on OS or MAC? Is there a correlation?
    "Frying" is not very likely -- More likely is that the mouse has been unpaired from the unifying receiver. I know it's a drag but you should see if you can pair the mouse+receiver in Windows (as far as I'm aware Logitech hasn't ported that app to linux although there's a link to a user-contributed pairing tool here *which I've never used* http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Mice-a...rt/td-p/548124).

BTW, the driver for the logitech unifying receiver (hid_logitech_dj) was contributed by Logitech.

Beans
    Distro

BTW, you guys with logitech unifying receiver wireless keyboards: I'd appreciate if you could waste a bunch of your time and try to install from the alternate iso. It will appear to hang after 'Install Ubuntu' but in actuality only the keyboard is unresponsive *because the logitech hid driver is not included in the kernel modules* -- hahaha...

When you do repro that, would you please 'me too' this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/975198 ? Also wouldn't hurt to report the iso failure:
    amd64 here http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...5293/testcases
    i386 here http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...5295/testcases

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NHclimber View Post
    "Frying" is not very likely -- More likely is that the mouse has been unpaired from the unifying receiver. I know it's a drag but you should see if you can pair the mouse+receiver in Windows .
    Thanks, I tried that with a tech support technician at Logitech. The "pairing" software didn't work which led the tech to conclude that either the transmitter was bad or the receiver (in either unit).

Logitech is sending me a new mouse, as we speak. If the latest Ubuntu/Linux was somehow to blame, I don't want to fry 49 dollars worth of mouse. If the same mouse stops working for other users on 12.04 and Windows, then I'm really going to start worrying. So far, though, that doesn't appear to be the case. Evidence points to the problem being isolated to my mouse.

Beans

When I let GNU Grub time out, the mouse isn't recognized, but when I choose from the list or simply just hit ENTER, the mouse is recognized? I've gone through eight reboots, and 3 out of the 4 times I let Grub time out, the mouse wasn't recognized, all 4 times I selected the highlighted entry, the mouse was recognized, and the only thing that ruins the theory was the one time when the mouse was recognized after Grub timesout. Could this issue stem from GNU Grub? Coincidence? I'll start a running tally of reboots to see if there is a correlation.
    Last edited by SemiExpert; April 13th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Beans

I have a Logitech M305 wireless mouse, but have never had a problem. I'm currently using 12.04 with all updates installed.

The touchpad used to drop out quite regularly ion 11.10, but never the mouse.

What does all that mean? I don't know, but someone might.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast