Thread: Dual core netbooks and Ubuntu

Beans

Dual core netbooks and Ubuntu

Do the dual core netbooks, e.g. with an N570 chip, work noticeably better with Ubuntu 11.10/12.04? Or for example do menus still open in that glitchy, pausing and visibly animated way? I'm just wondering whether the graphics chip most recent netbooks have is more why they're glitchy or if the dual core cpus get round this.

My Packard Bell with an N450 can run Windows 7 with full Aero very well. It can run Gnome 3 via Bridge Linux very well too - Gnome 3 in Mint 12 is not great and Unity is very glitchy so it makes me wonder what the problem is when Aero looks more demanding than Unity or Gnome 3.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dual core netbooks and Ubuntu

What graphics does the machine have? I have found that Unity and Gnome3 in Ubuntu can be slow if the best graphics drivers are not installed. For instance, my laptop has an ATI graphics adapter and I get the best performance when U install the AMD/ATI proprietary drivers. Using the stock Radeon drivers does not give good performance in Unity or Gnome 3 and the open source AT drivers are better but not nearly as good as the AMD proprietary drivers. I would imagine it is probably the same with an Nvidia graphics card.

Beans

Re: Dual core netbooks and Ubuntu

It's an Intel chip, something like 3150 possibly. Most of the netbooks have the same one. I'm fairly sure there isn't the open source/proprietary issue with these Intel chips, or at least there's never anything lurking in Jockey.