Thread: problems with unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

problems with unity

I'm kind of pleased with unity, but I can't stand the way unity hides the menu until you move your mouse up. Very bad. Also having to wade through 89 applications to find the one I want is also very bad. So very very bad. The dash has to be fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: problems with unity

Quote Originally Posted by marinara View Post
    I'm kind of pleased with unity, but I can't stand the way unity hides the menu until you move your mouse up. Very bad. Also having to wade through 89 applications to find the one I want is also very bad. So very very bad. The dash has to be fixed.
    1. The way the global menu is, isn't the best. But once you've found it once, it's not too bad. The Ubuntu developers are aware that it's not the best solution either; they're going to replace the Global Menu with something else in the near future. Probably Locally Integrated Menus (look it up) or integrated into the HUD.

2. You don't need to wade through applications to find the one you want. If you use it very frequently, put it on the Launcher. The other programs you recently used that are NOT on the Launcher will appear in the home view of the Dash. The rest can be searched for simply by typing their names in the Dash, or by using the filters in the Applications lens.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In 11.10, it was possible to remove the global menu:

sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
    (I haven't tried the same in 12.04.) To reinstall:

sudo apt-get install appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
    As to the dash, you can always install classic-menu.

Beyond that, I don't mind that Unity hides the menu. I almost prefer it that way. Other than that, I use Synapse to call up other apps. If anything, that is something that bothers me about the dash. If I type in the name of an app, Unity doesn't highlight the intended app. I have to navigate to the app with a mouse or arrow keys. With Synapse, I can type and hit return.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You might like this then. http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...2-0411-10.html

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The best way to use dash is to open it with the super/windows key, type the first couple letters of the program you want, it will alter the search results based on what you type in, and when you hit enter it will open.

For example, to open Chrome I just have to type -super- 'ch' and hit enter, it opens easily. Then for your most used programs, just keep them in the launcher by right clicking the icon, and selecting 'keep in launcher'.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

This is all easily fixed in 12.04
    Last edited by wojox; March 19th, 2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling