Thread: Noob guide needed: Set static IP Linux Mint 11

Beans

Exclamation Noob guide needed: Set static IP Linux Mint 11

G'day forum people.

Recently, I've been playing MW2 alot, but noticed my connection is very laggy, my NAT type is set to 3 which is Strict.

I am trying to open up ports that the game specifically needs, wich I know, but in order to do that, I need to create a static IP for my computer.

My question is:

How EXACTLY do I create a static IP for my computer?

I've gone into connection setting and into my SSID I use, then into IPv4 settings, then to manual DHCP, but after that I get stuck.

What Address do I put in the first box? The static IP I want to use? Or does it have to be a specific number?

I know my netmask already, but what do I put for Gateway and DNS server?

Thank you for any help you can give me. Had bulk trouble trying to get ports open so MW2 won't lag.
    Intermediate Linux knowledge, 3 distro's tried and loved 8)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Noob guide needed: Set static IP Linux Mint 11

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.

Beans

Re: Noob guide needed: Set static IP Linux Mint 11

Cheers for moving it, I put it in general because this issue is doing my head in lol.

If this matters, I've disabled extended security with the UPnP, so it shouldn't be restricted anymore, but it still is, so I will definitely have to forward specific ports.

All I need to know is how to set a static IP for my computer, step by step, really dumbed down lol.

Cheers for any and all help you can give me.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Noob guide needed: Set static IP Linux Mint 11

Ok, so I've forwarded the ports to my PS3, registered and allowed the PS3 on my router page, made the PS3 use the same IP so it's faster, and STILL it doesn't work.... My NAT type is still stuck on 3: Strict.

My router is a Thomson TG782T, it supports UPnP, but it still says it's unavailable, even though I've marked it as enabled on my router page.

What else could be making it unavailable?

And since I've forwarded the appropriate ports to my PS3, shouldn't it automatically be Open now? Since the way is perfectly clear?