Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Application for Ubuntu Membership: Effenberg0x0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Application for Ubuntu Membership: Effenberg0x0

Quote Originally Posted by effenberg0x0 View Post
    I wasn't sure if what I did/still am doing was enough for a membership actually.
    This seems to be a common issue. The staff are attempting to rectify this at the moment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    I just had to support your application as I've always enjoyed reading your posts. They are always well written and presented and I can tell a lot of thought goes into what you write which of course is always backed up by your extensive knowledge and experience.
    Thanks Paul
    I think I lack concision lol... some of my posts are too big and users sometimes have no patience to read them entirely. But I try

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

I support this.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by IWantFroyo View Post
    I support this.
    Thanks!

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wasn't sure if what I did/still am doing was enough for a membership actually. Then when I was invited to apply, I was still not really convinced: I had to think for a while, check what other Ubuntu Members contributed, ask for advice from other members and users, ask them their opinion about our group and activities, etc.
    I can't even believe you wrote that! I don't know much, but I DO know that, if ANYONE ever deserved membership, it's you.

Thanks Paul
    I think I lack concision lol... some of my posts are too big and users sometimes have no patience to read them entirely. But I try
    This is also rather stunning to read. If people are too impatient to read the "big" posts, that's their choice. But many times, after reading some of your more detailed posts, all I can say is "Wow!" - You have a knack for organising information and making it readable and understandable.

I've also noted a sense of compassion for the trials and tribulations of ordinary users when they are faced with things they don't understand, and a lot of patience in working out ways to make things easier for them.

A humble spirit, and a sense of humor, too!

I believe that you are qualified for membership, above and beyond.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Car View Post
    I can't even believe you wrote that! I don't know much, but I DO know that, if ANYONE ever deserved membership, it's you.

This is also rather stunning to read. If people are too impatient to read the "big" posts, that's their choice. But many times, after reading some of your more detailed posts, all I can say is "Wow!" - You have a knack for organising information and making it readable and understandable.

I've also noted a sense of compassion for the trials and tribulations of ordinary users when they are faced with things they don't understand, and a lot of patience in working out ways to make things easier for them.

A humble spirit, and a sense of humor, too!

I believe that you are qualified for membership, above and beyond.
    Jay Car, I'm at a loss of words here, thank you so much for this.

Actually, there are some things I have to say about you too I really appreciate how you always took the time to recognize the efforts or our people at Ubuntu+1 and supported us in the few moments when, unavoidably, there was conflict. I remember during the craziness of OO release week I was taking support threads in groups of five or more for many hours straight and we still had to put up with all the hate towards Ubuntu changes, like Unity, aimed at the helpers.... I really though of quiting UF altogether at that point and your advice was crucial to keep me here and light up my mood. Many times, when I was sunk too deep into the IT aspects of testing and support, you were a reminder that there are real people behind each forum handle. If the role of "advisor" or "analyst" to the helpers, members and staff is ever created, it should automatically be assigned to you.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Last edited by effenberg0x0; March 19th, 2012 at 07:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good luck with the application.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    Good luck with the application.
    Thanks Rubi1200!

Regards,
    Effenberg

Beans

Hy Matt! thanks for your support.

I wasn't sure if what I did/still am doing was enough for a membership actually. Then when I was invited to apply, I was still not really convinced: I had to think for a while, check what other Ubuntu Members contributed, ask for advice from other members and users, ask them their opinion about our group and activities, etc.

But right now, given the work we are developing, our current achievements as a team, the improvement in the number of people at Ubuntu+1, in the quality of support and time to answer, the formation of the team, etc, I became more confident we are driving some relevant and positive change - I started to see results in things I was trying to do for a long time. That's basically it.

Regards,
    Effenberg
    Effenberg, the best leaders are the ones who challenge themselves, are extremely humble, and most of all reluctant to lead Your treatment and respect of what a ubuntu member means makes you an excellent candidate.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guitara View Post
    Effenberg, the best leaders are the ones who challenge themselves, are extremely humble, and most of all reluctant to lead Your treatment and respect of what a ubuntu member means makes you an excellent candidate.
    Thank you for your kind words Nick! Actually, the good advice you gave me when I asked your opinion about it was a *big* push for me. After that talk, even still being a little uncertain of my merit, I decided I would try it, but with an unusual rationale. Not as an "award" or something like that, but as a tool to speed up change by opening more doors. In order to continue trying to do proactive (AKA crazy) things, approaching people that can help drive positive change but who never heard of me, getting their attention and commitment, etc, the membership can be a nice "business card" (if people respect it the way we do, as we had talked).

You have been a real good friend to me and I have a feeling we'll continue to work together for a long time. I'm excited about this possibility.

BTW, I'm finishing my (counter)Proposal today I have dedicated a lot of time to it this weekend and tried to create an end-to-end specification, that is, is starts with an assessment of the current situation and proposed changes as you did, but also delineates detailed processes, structure, management, decision making, etc - like what I drafted for U+1 - but considering the different groups involved. I took a SWOT approach more or less. It's a little big and extra-comprehensive, but I think (actually hope) you'll like it.

Regards,
    Effenberg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast