Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things that needs to be fixed with Unity in 12.04LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Things that needs to be fixed with Unity in 12.04LTS

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    What does this mean?
    I'd like to know too. The terminal hasn't gone anywhere.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    ahh the endless quest for perfection of linux users...
    I've given up pursuit of that a long time ago. There is no such thing. If one likes cinnamon, install cinnamon. Linux allows you to customize your environment to how you want it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hello again,
    I did state that iam not a fan of unity and use gnome 3 instead, but being constructive (prob a first for me reg unity) I do recognise its improvements and evolution lately. I do mean evolution of text based program launching rather than via mouse and the new hud addresses this in part. The touch pad issue was so bad it was barely usable and iam far from the only user to suffer this unity bug. I briefly had a launchpad account but was either confused by dev requests or ignored for an end user I found it overtechnical and pointless, resorting to patches, workarounds and hacks instead but thats only my opinion. But all ubuntus should support keyboards,mice, touchpads (netbooks once a stronghold for ubuntu) and internet functionality (ubuntu 9.10 suffered this) out of the box, otherwise they just drive new and existing users away. (windows has never suffered these bugs recently)
    Last edited by Nightstrike2009; March 19th, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
    Linux Mint 12 (11.10 Based) Gnome 3.0 User

Beans
    Distro

Sorry double posted in error from an android mobile, whoops
    Last edited by Nightstrike2009; March 19th, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

Smile Re: Things that needs to be fixed with Unity in 12.04LTS

Well, I have one problem so far:

When I want to change my default terminal emulator, there's no configuration option in the System Settings anymore.

That's kind of silly, since it used to be there.

However, you could use update-alternatives, which is a bit more involved (It used to have a gui! whine whine!), but that still doesn't work, because the launch terminal shortcut still launches GNOME Terminal.

I hope that that problem can be fixed.

(I've riced out urxvt and would rather have that than Gnome-Terminal.)

Also, in Gnome-Terminal, the alt key is used to open the menus.

When the standard shell is BASH this is confusing, since BASH has some nifty editing keys that use Alt as well. I really wish that Alt would not be used for accessing the menu.
    (This is settable in the preferences menu, btw.)

For those of you not in the know, Alt+F goes forward a word, and Alt+B goes backward a word.
    Control+F/B goes Forward/Backward a character.

It's basically the emacs editing keys. You can of course tell bash to use vi editing keys instead, by doing
    Code:
    set -o vi

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstrike2009 View Post
    Hello again,
    I did state that iam not a fan of unity and use gnome 3 instead, but being constructive (prob a first for me reg unity) I do recognise its improvements and evolution lately. I do mean evolution of text based program launching rather than via mouse and the new hud addresses this in part. The touch pad issue was so bad it was barely usable and iam far from the only user to suffer this unity bug. I briefly had a launchpad account but was either confused by dev requests or ignored for an end user I found it overtechnical and pointless, resorting to patches, workarounds and hacks instead but thats only my opinion. But all ubuntus should support keyboards,mice, touchpads (netbooks once a stronghold for ubuntu) and internet functionality (ubuntu 9.10 suffered this) out of the box, otherwise they just drive new and existing users away. (windows has never suffered these bugs recently)
    Things are moving fast. http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/u...1+Ubuntu%21%29

Beans
    Distro

I forgot to include this last time (The workaround I use for touchpad):

I own a Acer Aspire One Netbook

The terminal commands:

sudo rmmod psmouse
    sudo modprobe psmouse
    (You will get an error inbetween issuing both commands but just ignore it)

I belive this disables the mouse driver and rebuilds it, after researching into this the touchpad is turned off by default even though the mouse isn't in Ubuntu 11.10 & its variants (and the settings for it deleted, by default???), its also been reported to the devs by several other users so hopefully it will be fixed in 12.04LTS
    Last edited by Nightstrike2009; March 29th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12