Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox address and search bar not working after update to FF 11

Beans

Firefox address and search bar not working after update to FF 11

Hi,

The address bar and search bar in Firefox stopped working after I upgraded from FF 10 to 11 in ubuntu 10.04. Typing in URLs or search phrases is not followed by any FF activity. I can open URLs from bookmarks though.

Also, I cannot access "Manage search engines", the Add-ons-manager won't load and when trying to create this threat in Firefox, the following error message appears: "The following errors occurred with your submission: The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters."

At first, the bookmarks menu remained blank, too. That changed when I brought up the classic Menu bar instead of the Firefox menu.

I have reinstalled Firefox both from the mozillateam and the ubuntu main ppa's, to no avail.

Any help or advice on how to do further troubleshooting would be appreciated.

Thanks

Beans

Re: Firefox address and search bar not working after update to FF 11

looks like I'm not the only one to run into this issue. unfortunately, what you described is just the tip of the iceberg: none of my AddOns work. writing a complete address and clicking "go" or hitting Enter does nothing. no search engines. no AddOn manager. no back or forward buttons in case you actually went anywhere (from Bookmarks)...

I installed the FF10 -> FF11 update from the official Mozilla Firefox-Stable ppa, then tried to fix this by using Synaptic to completely reinstall all Firefox and Firefox-related packages - and nothing.
    I am actually writing this reply from FF11 on Windows7 - since my FF11 on Ubuntu 10.04 is now completely useless.

if this is a bug with the Ununtu version of FF11, then it must be the unholy mother of all bugs.

Mozilla's obsession to compete with Google's Chrome-version-frenzy was bound to cause something like this sooner or later. there was nothing wrong with FF4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Firefox address and search bar not working after update to FF 11

My upgrade didn't work either. After weeks of headaches with Firefox 10 with the constant crashes and now I couldn't even add a sentence in this forum with the firefox browser. I can either downgrade and work from there or just use something else, maybe Chromium since this is what I am using at the moment.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
    Last edited by Renshu; March 16th, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: text would not register in Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wonder if Mozilla is listening.

Beans

Yeah, So I am not alone..
    I had installed 3 times deleting all old configuration, settings and cache, but no use. Can anyone tell me how to revert to firefox 10 ?

Beans

Same problem here.
    In the last few days I have been able to revert to FF10 by doing

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge firefox
    sudo apt-get install firefox=10.*
    which now does not work anymore.
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Renshu View Post
    My upgrade didn't work either. After weeks of headaches with Firefox 10 with the constant crashes and now I couldn't even add a sentence in this forum with the firefox browser. I can either downgrade and work from there or just use something else, maybe Chromium since this is what I am using at the moment.

Any advice would be most appreciated.
    I still haven't tried FF11 but as far as FF10 is concerned I have been using it since it was released WITHOUT any crashes.

Do you guys maybe use some specific settings and changes made to FF which might not play nice with the new v11?

It is normal some add-ons to be disabled in a new version until an update of the add-on is released. But the core of FF should still work anyway.

Also when using the PPA to be able to have the latest version, make sure it is only the official and stable PPA and not some pre-release which might not be able for prime time.

Other than that, nothing springs to mind about such issues. FF has been stable ages ago, because of that I switched from IE even on windows. Have never seen it crash except when my GF opens 190 tabs.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

This did the trick for me: I had the xul-ext-bindwood package installed for bookmark syncing. I never used it so I uninstalled it using the Synaptic package manager and now Firefox works as it should.

Maybe this will help a select few of you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mwotsch View Post
    Same problem here.
    In the last few days I have been able to revert to FF10 by doing

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge firefox
    sudo apt-get install firefox=10.*
    which now does not work anymore.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for that, I will try to revert to FF 10

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post

Do you guys maybe use some specific settings and changes made to FF which might not play nice with the new v11?

I had disabled/deleted all the add-ons, deleted all the old settings by deleting .mozilla folder in home directory and installed again freshly. So I think that is not the problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ubu_lin View Post
    Thanks for that, I will try to revert to FF 10

I had disabled/deleted all the add-ons, deleted all the old settings by deleting .mozilla folder in home directory and installed again freshly. So I think that is not the problem
    Look at post #8, just posted. It might be something as trivial as that, something you even forgot about. Just guessing here...
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast