Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Ubuntu 11.10 Look like Windows 7, Vista, XP or Classic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Exclamation Make Ubuntu 11.10 Look like Windows 7, Vista, XP or Classic

Hi. Never mind the reasons but I urgently need Ubuntu 11.10 look like Windows 7, Vista, XP or Classic. I have tried many tutorials, however many of them have failed, are for 10.04, or I have failed or there has been another complication. Please help me ASAP.
    I accidentally erased my hard drive and windows in my first ever attempt at installing Ubuntu.

Beans

Re: Make Ubuntu 11.10 Look like Windows 7, Vista, XP or Classic

For theme switch, search online.

But: Why you make Ubuntu look like Windows? There's a lot of built0in theme can make a tiny mockup Windows.

Also refer to YLMF OS, a Chinese distro that mockup Windows for newbs who used Windows before.
    Last edited by mraandtux; March 16th, 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thumbs down Re: Make Ubuntu 11.10 Look like Windows 7, Vista, XP or Classic

Have you blown away a family member or friend's Windows installation without permission?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MARP1961 View Post
    Have you blown away a family member or friend's Windows installation without permission?
    LMMFAO, this made me laugh so hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Post Re: Make Ubuntu 11.10 Look like Windows 7, Vista, XP or Classic

No. To tell you the truth I installed it on my school computer (I never agreed not to do such things) and it is still dual-booted with windows. All I want to do is make sure that if I do accidentally load it up at school it will look normal and no-one will find out what I did. (I am only using Ubuntu on this computer for personal use at home).

But yes, I do agree - my signature does indicate suck things may happen

Quote Originally Posted by mraandtux View Post
    For theme switch, search online.

But: Why you make Ubuntu look like Windows? There's a lot of built0in theme can make a tiny mockup Windows.

Also refer to YLMF OS, a Chinese distro that mockup Windows for newbs who used Windows before.
    I am looking for more than a theme, more like a new way to log on other than Gnome, Gnome (no effects), Gnome (Classic), Ubuntu and Ubuntu 2D. I have seen such things, however I am unsure how to actually do the tutorials :3.

and obviously I ALREADY TRIED SEARCHING WITH UBUNTU SEARCH, GOOGLE AND ASK!!!
    I accidentally erased my hard drive and windows in my first ever attempt at installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LOL . I also suspect that .Anyways you cannot hide a Lion under a sheep's skin .
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaMiller0 View Post
    ... I ALREADY TRIED SEARCHING WITH UBUNTU SEARCH, GOOGLE AND ASK!!!
    But you didn't mention on the thread: you are tried all the searches you did.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you go here, you can download a theme called "vista basic". If you pair it with one of the truly awful Windows default wallpapers, that's a start.

The wallpaper is key: no one would voluntarily put such an awful wallpaper on their machine UNLESS they were running windows, so it'll psych people out into assuming you're on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know you can get GDM themes that look like Windows, I think i remember seeing some at Gnome-Look.org. I'm not sure about LightDM, but I should imagine that would be possible.

I would imagine it would be hard to get Unity or Gnome 3 to look like Windows, but it should be fairly easy with KDE (Last time I used KDE it even came with "Redmond" themes and window decorations - not sure if they were from KDE or my distro though), XFCE or LXDE and the right themes.

Beans

I am not sure why everyone is still having such issues with people wanting to make a Linux based OS look more like Windows. I think most of us can agree that the mighty MS charges an obscene price for their product which while it is a staple and very capable OS it is not worth the price.

I think we need to help the different Linux OS take more of the market share currently over whelmed by Windows. If making Linux resemble Windows is a way to bring more users to the Linux world then I encourage it. Once people have made the move and see what Linux has to offer our user numbers could go through the roof.

All that said, here is a link to an article that will help you make any Linux distro running on gnome look and act almost exactly like Windows 7. I have used for a number of new users and they love it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/55985/how-t...ike-windows-7/

Or you can try this approach, it is a bit more involved and I have had less success with it however.
    http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=113264

Enjoy your Linux install and let us know what you think of it.

~:LW88:~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast