Thread: Something is using bandwith

Beans

Something is using bandwith

I have one really strange problem that i haven't till now. I have network widget on desktop, and it shows that something is downloading at 60-140 Kib/s. I installed NetHogs and it doesn't show network traffic at all or sometime something small(less than one KB/s), never before i had this problem. So question is: Is something wrong with nethogs or with widget? but light on my ethernet is constantly blinking so something is definitely using bandwidth. Should i just leave it like that or should i be concerned? (I'm using KDE)
    Thanks for any help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Something is using bandwith

Keep in mind that you trafic in bits seems about 10 times higher (8 times + 20% overhead) than your trafic in bytes

If you want to try another monitoring program, try nmon. It's a comandline/terminal monitor, a bit like top but it also shows netwok and disk info (and more).

Beans

Re: Something is using bandwith

Okay, i analyzed network traffic with wireshark. and i get lot of ARP packets, and with little serachin on google, i came to conclusion that it is broadcast storm. correct me if i'm wrong, so how to fix that?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: ARP broadcast storm is using bandwith

Quote Originally Posted by thommyy View Post
    Okay, i analyzed network traffic with wireshark. and i get lot of ARP packets, and with little serachin on google, i came to conclusion that it is broadcast storm. correct me if i'm wrong, so how to fix that?
    Can't you see where (what machine) the packages are coming from? Since it's ethernet, is your switch connected to other switches? There could be a loop connecting 3 switches in a triangle, for example.

If you can change the thread title from "something is using bandwith" to "ARP broadcast storm is using bandwith" you might atrack an arp and/or broadcast storm expert. (I'm not )