Thread: Ubuntu server running XBMC and Torrentflux.

Beans

Ubuntu server running XBMC and Torrentflux.

Hey guys! I used to have a setup with Ubuntu running the server edition, with XBMC as my media player. It had no desktop, which I liked, just booted right into XBMC. I also had torrentflux running so I could download free documentaries and music and such.

I liked it because I could start the torrent from my laptop, it would download on my server, which was hooked up to my TV, then I could watch it right away.

I'm going to attempt this setup again, I've gotten another desktop I'm not using. I was just wondering if XBMC would be a good choice, because I don't really have the skills to remotely control the server, and move and rename files.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Side note, I would also like opinions on a distro that would maybe run better, and take less power. I plan on keeping this baby running for maybe 10 hours a day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu server running XBMC and Torrentflux.

Hi Hobbes2k2. Welcome to the forums

I'd recommend taking a look at transmission-daemon as your bittorrent client. It runs as a service, so no desktop environment is necessary, and can be used through your browser.

As for XBMC, this are my thoughts: as a simple media player is an overkill. However, if you keep a what you download and your media library gets medium/big, it is fantastic.

For full HD playback, you may need to consider getting hardware that supports video hardware acceleration. The easiest option would be to get a ~$40 Nvidia card.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can use nautilus for file management, using sftp, just setup openssh server, on the server, and access it from any other desktop system on your local network.

Have a look at the openssh-server howto here.

Once you have ssh set up, just open nautilus, press Ctrl-t to open an other tab, then press Ctrl-l to open the location bar and type:

Code:
    sftp://servername
    Note: This presupposes that you have aliased the server ip address to the server name in /etc/hosts eg:

Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    127.0.1.1	alexis
    192.168.0.104	willy
    192.168.0.240	likely
    Likely and willy are my two file servers.

Beans

Thanks for the reply guys! I'll definitely check these out!