Thread: Grub rescue!? how to remove? Pleas help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Grub rescue!? how to remove? Pleas help!

Hello...

I had ubuntu 11.04 installed on another complete hard drive thats not even connected with my main hard drive. see I Just unhooked my Windows vista hard drive. and put another drive to run ubuntu. where I could run with out messing up my windows.
    But it seems After taking the ubuntu hard drive out and put the windows hard drive back in I hit this problem..

Grub rescue>

Now his confuses me My windows drive wasn't even hooked up when I had ubuntu in my computer...

The question is how do I fix it where my Computer will stop doing this and boot my windows drive up normally?
    Please anyone help

Beans
    Distro

Re: Grub rescue!? how to remove? Pleas help!

ok I'm sorry about this double post but I need help now please...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linktopower View Post
    Hello...

I had ubuntu 11.04 installed on another complete hard drive thats not even connected with my main hard drive. see I Just unhooked my Windows vista hard drive. and put another drive to run ubuntu. where I could run with out messing up my windows.
    But it seems After taking the ubuntu hard drive out and put the windows hard drive back in I hit this problem..

Grub rescue>

Now his confuses me My windows drive wasn't even hooked up when I had ubuntu in my computer...

The question is how do I fix it where my Computer will stop doing this and boot my windows drive up normally?
    Please anyone help
    Hey man, sorry no one has responded to you sooner. I just got home from a date with my fiancee. So anyway, I've had this issue each time I've installed Ubuntu on my system. The Grub Rescue situation should be relatively easy to fix.

First things first, you need a Ubuntu LIVE CD for this fix that I'm recommending.
    Go ahead and insert that or your USB, whatever you have it installed on. Boot into your bios and select either your CD Drive or your USB Stick.

If you have a Ubuntu Live CD, or USB stick go ahead and boot into that. If you don't know what that is it's the CD you used to install Ubuntu, there should be an option on it that says "Try Ubuntu" Select that option.

Once you're in there open up your terminal using Ctrl\alt\T. From there type in the following commands in the exact order.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install boot-repair-ubuntu

Just copy and paste each command individually to ensure accuracy and lessen any chance of error.

Hope this helps, if not get back to me and let know why not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Grub rescue!? how to remove? Pleas help!

Spewed's suggestion to use Boot-repair is good. Just few additional details:
    - the package name is now "boot-repair", not "boot-repair-ubuntu" (see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair )
    - your problem arose because GRUB has been installed in your Windows disk's MBR, this means you have updated Ubuntu without disconnecting your Windows disk.
    - if you want to be able to use Windows without connecting the Ubuntu disk, please follow these steps:
    1) Disconnect the Ubuntu disk, and connect the Windows disk
    2) Run Boot-Repair from live-CD or live-USB (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...ng_Boot-Repair ), then click the "Recommended repair" button. This will remove GRUB from Windows disk's MBR. Note the URL that will appear, and indicate it to me.
    Reboot the PC (without any CD nor live-USB) and check that it boots directly to Windows.
    3) Connect the Ubuntu disk
    4) Reboot and check if you have access to Ubuntu. If no, run Boot-Repair again, but this time click on "Advanced options", go to the "GRUB location" tab, tick the "sdx is a removable disk" option (x may be a or b), apply, and indicate the new URL that will appear.

Regards

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Spewed View Post
    Hey man, sorry no one has responded to you sooner. I just got home from a date with my fiancee. So anyway, I've had this issue each time I've installed Ubuntu on my system. The Grub Rescue situation should be relatively easy to fix.

First things first, you need a Ubuntu LIVE CD for this fix that I'm recommending.
    Go ahead and insert that or your USB, whatever you have it installed on. Boot into your bios and select either your CD Drive or your USB Stick.

If you have a Ubuntu Live CD, or USB stick go ahead and boot into that. If you don't know what that is it's the CD you used to install Ubuntu, there should be an option on it that says "Try Ubuntu" Select that option.

Once you're in there open up your terminal using Ctrl\alt\T. From there type in the following commands in the exact order.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install boot-repair-ubuntu

Just copy and paste each command individually to ensure accuracy and lessen any chance of error.

Hope this helps, if not get back to me and let know why not.
    Nope No dice. its still
    saying Error invalided filesystem
    Grub rescue>
    Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Spewed's suggestion to use Boot-repair is good. Just few additional details:
    - the package name is now "boot-repair", not "boot-repair-ubuntu" (see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair )
    - your problem arose because GRUB has been installed in your Windows disk's MBR, this means you have updated Ubuntu without disconnecting your Windows disk.
    - if you want to be able to use Windows without connecting the Ubuntu disk, please follow these steps:
    1) Disconnect the Ubuntu disk, and connect the Windows disk
    2) Run Boot-Repair from live-CD or live-USB (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...ng_Boot-Repair ), then click the "Recommended repair" button. This will remove GRUB from Windows disk's MBR. Note the URL that will appear, and indicate it to me.
    Reboot the PC (without any CD nor live-USB) and check that it boots directly to Windows.
    3) Connect the Ubuntu disk
    4) Reboot and check if you have access to Ubuntu. If no, run Boot-Repair again, but this time click on "Advanced options", go to the "GRUB location" tab, tick the "sdx is a removable disk" option (x may be a or b), apply, and indicate the new URL that will appear.

Regards
    But thats the thing...I didn't even have my windows hard drive in my computer...
    Is it possable that grub is in my bios??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think it's not possible, even with new EFI bios.

Beans
    Distro

Okay any sugestion on what to do?

And on another note I can still boot my windows by pressing F12 on the bios then selecting boot off hard drive.

EDIT: Hm...Maybe its still in the ram memory? Just guessing at this point...

Boot Info Script 0.60-git [23 Feb 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Syslinux MBR (3.61-4.03) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
    => Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at sector 1 of
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
    for (,msdos1)/boot/grub on this drive.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7: NTFS
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System: Windows Vista
    Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sdb1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows Vista/7: NTFS
    Operating System:
    Boot files:

sdc: __________________________________________________ _________________________

File system: vfat
    Boot sector type: Windows 7: FAT32
    Operating System:
    Boot files:

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders, total 156301488 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sda1 * 63 156,296,384 156,296,322 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

Drive: sdb __________________________________________________ ___________________

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes

Partition Boot Start Sector End Sector # of Sectors Id System

/dev/sdb1 2,048 156,301,311 156,299,264 7 NTFS / exFAT / HPFS

"blkid" output: __________________________________________________ ______________

Device UUID TYPE LABEL

/dev/loop0 squashfs
    /dev/sda1 01CCF0F2A78EB080 ntfs Western Digital Master
    /dev/sdb1 92A4BC10A4BBF537 ntfs Western Digital Slave
    /dev/sdc F658-405E vfat CRUZER 15GB

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device Mount_Point Type Options

/dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sdc /media/CRUZER 15GB vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=999,gid=999,sh ortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)
    /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 (ro,noatime)

========= Devices which don't seem to have a corresponding hard drive: =========

sdd sde sdf sdg

=============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

xz: (stdin): Compressed data is corrupt

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION :
    **************** log of boot-repair 2012-03-14__09h21 ****************
    boot-repair version : 3.16-0ppa10~natty
    boot-sav version : 3.17-0ppa20~natty
    /usr/share/boot-sav/gui-update.sh: line 31: hash: glade2script: not found
    glade2script-gtk2 version : 0.0.1-0ppa4~natty
    internet: no-internet
    LIVESESSION is : yes (Ubuntu 11.04 , natty , Ubuntu , i686 )
    sdc has unknown type. Please report this message to yannubuntu@gmail.com
    BYTES_BEFORE_PART[1] (sda) = 63 sectors * 512 bytes = 32256 bytes.
    BYTES_BEFORE_PART[2] (sdb) = 2048 sectors * 512 bytes = 1048576 bytes.

OSPROBER:
    /dev/sda1:Windows Vista (loader):Windows:chain

BLKID:
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="Western Digital Master" UUID="01CCF0F2A78EB080" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Western Digital Slave" UUID="92A4BC10A4BBF537" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdc: LABEL="CRUZER 15GB" UUID="F658-405E" TYPE="vfat"

1 disks with OS, 1 OS : 0 Linux, 0 MacOS, 1 Windows, 0 unknown type OS.
    Total of 1 OS detected on sda disk.
    TABLE_TYPE of sda is MSDos
    TABLE_TYPE of sdb is MSDos
    sda1 : sda, not-sepboot, no-grub-install, grub , no-update-grub, no-apt-nor-yum, 32, no boot, /mnt/boot-sav/sda1, with-os, no-gpt, notEFItable, no-fstab.
    sdb1 : sdb, is-maybe-sepboot, no-grub-install, grub , no-update-grub, no-apt-nor-yum, 32, no boot, /mnt/boot-sav/sdb1, no-os, no-gpt, notEFItable, no-fstab.
    sdc : sda, is-maybe-sepboot, no-grub-install, grub , no-update-grub, no-apt-nor-yum, 32, no boot, /media/CRUZER 15GB, no-os, no-gpt, notEFItable, no-fstab.

PARTED:

Model: ATA WDC WD800BB-22JH (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 32.3kB 80.0GB 80.0GB primary ntfs boot

Model: ATA WDC WD800BB-00CA (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0GB
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 80.0GB 80.0GB primary ntfs

Model: SanDisk Cruzer (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdc: 16.0GB
    Partition Table: loop

Number Start End Size File system Flags
    1 0.00B 16.0GB 16.0GB fat32

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
    has been opened read-only.

Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label

MOUNT:
    aufs on / type aufs (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
    none on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
    /dev/sr0 on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noatime)
    /dev/loop0 on /rofs type squashfs (ro,noatime)
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
    none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    none on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    none on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/ubuntu/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ubuntu)
    /dev/sdc on /media/CRUZER 15GB type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=999,gid=999,sh ortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)
    /dev/sda1 on /mnt/boot-sav/sda1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/boot-sav/sdb1 type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096)

/sys/block/sda: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro sda1 size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdb: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro sdb1 size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdc: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdd: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sde: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdf: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sdg: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /sys/block/sr0: alignment_offset bdi capability dev device discard_alignment events events_async events_poll_msecs ext_range holders inflight power queue range removable ro size slaves stat subsystem trace uevent
    /dev: agpgart autofs block bsg btrfs-control bus cdrom cdrw char console core cpu cpu_dma_latency dgcdcp0 dgcdcp1 dgcdcp2 dgcdcp3 dgcdcp4 dgcdcp5 dgcdcp6 dgcdcp7 dgcdiag0 dgcdiag1 dgcdiag2 dgcdiag3 dgcdiag4 dgcdiag5 dgcdiag6 dgcdiag7 dgcdiagdmp disk dri dvd dvdrw ecryptfs fb0 fd full fuse hidraw0 hpet input kmsg log lp0 mapper mcelog mem modem net network_latency network_throughput null oldmem parport0 pktcdvd port ppp psaux ptmx pts random rfkill rtc rtc0 scd0 sda sda1 sdb sdb1 sdc sdd sde sdf sdg serial sg0 sg1 sg2 sg3 sg4 sg5 sg6 sg7 shm snapshot snd sr0 stderr stdin stdout uinput urandom usbmon0 usbmon1 usbmon2 usbmon3 usbmon4 usbmon5 vga_arbiter zero
    /dev/mapper: control

DF:

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    aufs aufs 501M 129M 372M 26% /
    none devtmpfs 494M 736K 493M 1% /dev
    /dev/sr0 iso9660 686M 686M 0 100% /cdrom
    /dev/loop0
    squashfs 658M 658M 0 100% /rofs
    none tmpfs 501M 284K 500M 1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs tmpfs 501M 40K 501M 1% /tmp
    none tmpfs 501M 112K 500M 1% /var/run
    none tmpfs 501M 8.0K 501M 1% /var/lock
    /dev/sdc vfat 15G 416M 15G 3% /media/CRUZER 15GB
    /dev/sda1 fuseblk 75G 15G 60G 20% /mnt/boot-sav/sda1
    /dev/sdb1 fuseblk 75G 21G 54G 29% /mnt/boot-sav/sdb1

FDISK:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x3b011949

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 63 156296384 78148161 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x0005f1a3

/dev/sdb1 2048 156301311 78149632 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 16.0 GB, 16008609792 bytes
    64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 15267 cylinders, total 31266816 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x6f20736b

This doesn't look like a partition table
    Probably you selected the wrong device.

/dev/sdc1 ? 778135908 1919645538 570754815+ 72 Unknown
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sdc2 ? 168689522 2104717761 968014120 65 Novell Netware 386
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sdc3 ? 1869881465 3805909656 968014096 79 Unknown
    Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sdc4 ? 2885681152 2885736650 27749+ d Unknown
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order

************************Before mainwindow
    FSCK_ACTION no PASTEBIN_ACTION yes
    recommendedrepair, restore, REINSTALL_POSSIBLE no PURGE_POSSIBLE
    UNHIDEBOOT_ACTION yes (10s), noflag (sda1)
    PART_TO_REINSTALL_GRUB , PART_TO_REINSTALL_GRUB_PURGE , FORCE_GRUB () REMOVABLEDISK
    USE_SEPARATEBOOTPART () ()
    UNCOMMENT_GFXMODE no ATA ADD_KERNEL_OPTION no (acpi=off)
    MBR_TO_RESTORE sda (mbr) ( )
    internet: no-internet

************************Actions
    FSCK_ACTION no PASTEBIN_ACTION yes
    customrepair, restore, REINSTALL_POSSIBLE no PURGE_POSSIBLE
    UNHIDEBOOT_ACTION yes (10s), noflag (sda1)
    PART_TO_REINSTALL_GRUB , PART_TO_REINSTALL_GRUB_PURGE , FORCE_GRUB () REMOVABLEDISK
    USE_SEPARATEBOOTPART () ()
    UNCOMMENT_GFXMODE no ATA ADD_KERNEL_OPTION no (acpi=off)
    MBR_TO_RESTORE sda (mbr) (sda 1)
    Will restore the MBR_TO_RESTORE : sda (mbr) into sda
    dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sda
    0+1 records in
    0+1 records out
    bootflag_action sda1 (=sda1)
    parted /dev/sda set 2 boot off

Error: Partition doesn't exist.
    parted /dev/sda set 3 boot off

parted /dev/sda set 4 boot off

parted /dev/sda set 1 boot on

Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.

internet: connected
    pastebinit packages needed
    internet: connected
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
    E: Package 'pastebinit' has no installation candidate
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
    E: Package 'pastebinit' has no installation candidate
    Could not install pastebinit
    theres a boot info txt that boot repair made... will this help any one?
    And from what I gather my windows hard drive is /dev/sda.
    Hope this will shed some light.
    Last edited by linktopower; March 14th, 2012 at 04:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You have 2 disks:
    - sda is 80Go and contains Windows
    - sdb is also 80Go and contains no OS

Is guess you see GRUB because your BIOS tries to boot on sdb.
    Please setup your BIOS so that it boots on sda. Then reboot, and check if you can access Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Oh!! I got it now!. It was something so simple...god I'm dumb I cannot believe i forgot to set the boot priority D:
    Thanks guys for all the help

at least I fixed it now Thanks so much Thank you thank you thank you!