Thread: OpenSSH Vulnerability Issue

Beans

OpenSSH Vulnerability Issue

Hello All -

During a security scan on one of my Ubuntu 10.04 servers, a vulnerability was reported. The report mentions that it is due to the version of OpenSSH(Ver 5.3) that comes with the above Ubuntu Server. The vulnerability details are given below

Level: Critical

OpenSSH 4.4 up to versions before 4.9 allows remote authenticated users to bypass the sshd_config ForceCommand directive by modifying the .ssh/rc session file.

Questions
    ==========
    #1) I'm not sure if the vulnerability is applicable to the version I'm using, even though the scan has flagged it and recommended I upgrade to OpenSSH 5.9.

#2) To test out the procedure, just in case my client insists, I did a test upgrade on one of my other servers. Below is the sequence of steps that I used, please kindly let me know if you see that I'm missing something.

Code:
    sudo cp -r ~/.ssh ~/backup/

cd /usr/local

sudo wget http://ftp5.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/openssh-5.9p1.tar.gz

./configure --with-kerberos5 --with-md5-passwords 
    (No --with-pam)
    make

make install
    The above sequence of steps upgraded my ssh server to 5.9. Not sure, if that is all I need or do I have to do anything else.

Any replies or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sanjay.
    Last edited by sanjaymk; March 14th, 2012 at 04:18 AM.

Beans

Re: OpenSSH Vulnerability Issue

What did you use to run your security scan?