Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Dell Latitude D610, Ubuntu 11.10, and BCM4306 No Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dell Latitude D610, Ubuntu 11.10, and BCM4306 No Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    It looks like there is a hardware switch that has your wireless turned off. Can you please find it and switch it on?
    The only thing I have is a keyboard shortcut (fn + F2) but pressing it doesn't seem to do anything.

Hmmmm, on the off chance I looked in the BIOS, there was a wireless setting which was disabled. I enabled it and restarted. I'm now able to enable/disable the wifi with the Fn + F2 key combo.

Thanks a lot for your help chili555
    Last edited by unabatedshagie; October 5th, 2012 at 10:49 PM.

Beans

Smile Re: Dell Latitude D610, Ubuntu 11.10, and BCM4306 No Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Your device is claimed by the usual suspect b43 and ssb. It requires proprietary firmware. Download the attached file to your desktop. Right-click it and select Extract Here. Now open a terminal and copy the firmware to the correct location:
    Code:
    sudo cp Desktop/b43/ /lib/firmware
    Now unload and reload the driver so it grabs the firmware:[CODE]sudo modprobe -r b43
    Thank you, I've trawled pages and pages of Google results searching for an answer, everything I tried didn't work.
    B43-FWcutter, B43 Leagcy drivers. B43 this and that...
    ..was on the point of giving up and going back to XP when I found your post and B43 zip file.. It worked a treat. A simple solution in a small paragraph has done what thousands of other advice pages haven't been able to do.. From a Windows Expert--Linux Newbie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dell Latitude D610, Ubuntu 11.10, and BCM4306 No Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by whizzyfingers View Post
    Thank you, I've trawled pages and pages of Google results searching for an answer, everything I tried didn't work.
    B43-FWcutter, B43 Leagcy drivers. B43 this and that...
    ..was on the point of giving up and going back to XP when I found your post and B43 zip file.. It worked a treat. A simple solution in a small paragraph has done what thousands of other advice pages haven't been able to do.. From a Windows Expert--Linux Newbie
    Happy to help. Your kind comments make all this worthwhile.

We have a great community here and we're happy to help others with problems that we, ourselves struggled with many years and posts ago.

Have fun!
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345