Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to associate files with PlayOnLinux installed MS Office

Beans

Re: How to associate files with PlayOnLinux installed MS Office

Thanks a lot, i've been looking for this a long time

Beans

Unbelievably frustrating that so many options are being bled away from Linux. What was once a multi-faceted pleasure is now an exercise in annoyance and strains my patience on a daily basis. It is especially retarded to remove the option to "open with" any application of ones choice from Nautilus. Whoever dreamed this beauty up is a complete and total idiot!!! Forgive my candor...but this is after days of trying to open a simple .pdf file with Acrobat Reader. When Linux lags WAY behind Windows in something as simple as the option to choose ones default applications....you have to know it's going in entirely the wrong direction. I have to wonder if there isn't some hidden plot or agenda...or another Microsoft conspiracy...once again attempting to sabotage my beloved OS. From being forced to download 3rd party applications to execute simple tasks like changing themes and icons etc...to this incredible gaf...Linux is increasingly alienating those who've found a home away from the great patriarchal corporate monsters represented by Windows and Mac. I personally deeply resent having almost EVERY configuration option stripped progressively away on the release of each "progressive" distro. Hopefully a solution will be found that can accommodate BOTH what seems to be an attempt to infantilize the user interface, and those who require a more interactive experience. Thankfully there are those who still understand the nuts and bolts....and we can still get the answers we need (yup...I CAN finally open my pdf's) Even if those options have been stripped from the GUI itself.

Beans

Thanks for the instructions. It works like a charm.
    I changed the last line into the following, and no need to use two .desktop scripts for one program.
    "$(echo "$@" | sed -e 's:/*/:\\:g' | sed -e 's/^z:$//')"

Beans

I followed this and it helped me so much(thanks) but when i made the first gnome desktop edit i didnt change the icon. i did that now but how do i remove those old applications so when i search for word it doesnt show more then one response

Beans

Even easier, just open an office program and make a document and save it anywhere you like. Then right click on the file you saved and choose open with other application. Then choose use a custom command and type in

playonlinux --run "Microsoft Word 2007"
    Or put in 2010 depending on your version. Or put in Excel or PowerPoint, etc.

Beans

thank you very very much, worked awesome

Beans

This is fantastic!! I think I found an older thread of this and was having some trouble with it, but this works a treat.
    I have all kinds of versions of MS files for Word, Powerpoint and Excel and was wondering whether I have to go through each file type and associate to the application. Is there a way to list them all and have any of them (e.g .doc, .dot, .docx, .dotx .....etc). opened by the correct application?
    Easy explanations please; if you're no expert then I'm still a piece of slime mould on the Ubuntu evolutionary scale! I'm sure it will, I followed the last one with ease

Beans

When I open terminal and enter the first command, it says in need to install gnome-panel first. I assume it is because I use the Unity desktop and not gnome. Is there a workaround or different command? Do I install it, follow the tutorial, and then remove gnome-panel?

Beans

Open Nautilus and navigate to ~/.PlayOnLinux/shortcuts. Double click on each of the shortcuts that were made for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, and choose to Display the file in Gedit. At the end of the script, you should find this code:
    Code:
    $@
    Change that code for the following code in each shortcut script, and save the files.
    Code:
    "$(echo "$@" | sed -e 's:/*/:\\:g')"
    Simply putting quotes around %@ worked for me.

Beans

Thank you for this "how to". I'm running the very latest POL which has an option under Actions called Settings. Here it is possible to define the file extension type to open with the app. BUT it didn't work for me.

Thank you for your efforts - it is much appreciated.

John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast