Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Play dvd

Beans

Re: Play dvd

put this in the terminal, then reboot.

Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    any player will work after that from the GUI,like it's supposed to, I promise you.
    Last edited by waynefoutz; March 15th, 2012 at 03:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by waynefoutz View Post
    put this in the terminal, then reboot.

Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    any player will work after that from the GUI,like it's supposed to, I promise you.
    does this command install libdvdread4? if so i think it is already installed, see attached synaptic screenshot
    Last edited by dwhite; May 29th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post
    does this command install libdvdread4? if so i think it is already installed, see attached synaptic screenshot
    there's more to it than that. libdvdread4 will let you play home burnt dvds, that's about it. The above command will enable restricted formats, meaning commercial dvds.

see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

You need to reboot after for it to take effect.
    Last edited by waynefoutz; March 15th, 2012 at 03:53 AM.

Beans
    Distro

there's more to it than that. libdvdread4 will let you play home burnt dvds, that's about it. The above command will enable restricted formats, meaning commercial dvds.

see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

You need to reboot after for it to take effect.

Thanks for all the help, i ran the command, rebooted and still won't play dvd, i also tried with vlc player and no luck there either, i think i have a serious problem here.

thanks again, i have to get to sleep so i won't be trying anything else tonight, thinking i just might reinstall ubuntu, i wonder if i can run the LXDE desktop in ubuntu i like it very much and one of the main reasons i'd like to stay with lubuntu

ciao,

doug

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post
    Thanks for all the help, i ran the command, rebooted and still won't play dvd, i also tried with vlc player and no luck there either, i think i have a serious problem here.

thanks again, i have to get to sleep so i won't be trying anything else tonight, thinking i just might reinstall ubuntu, i wonder if i can run the LXDE desktop in ubuntu i like it very much and one of the main reasons i'd like to stay with lubuntu

ciao,

doug

Yeah, you can do that. Also, if you had success with Linux Mint, they just released a new LXDE version a few days ago.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, you can do that. Also, if you had success with Linux Mint, they just released a new LXDE version a few days ago.

Thanks, i'll definitely check that out.

thanks again

Beans
    Distro

well still trying to get this to work (need to play dvd's on this system for work) switched out lubuntu for xubuntu to see if that helped, installed all the packages needed too play restricted format dvd's, tried mplayer, vlc, and parole and no luck.

finally downloaded and ran
    Code:
     regionset
    , and set to region 1 (north america) now dvd's start to play but choppy and pixelated, so i'm hopeful.

thanks again,

after reboot
    Code:
    regionset
    command seems to have solved the problem
    Last edited by dwhite; March 20th, 2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: after reboot regionset seems to have solved problem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12