Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screen goes blank then I cannot click on anything with mouse and must reboot...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Screen goes blank then I cannot click on anything with mouse and must reboot...

Hi.

This has happened a number of times now.

Today Ubuntu 10.04 went blank for about 2 seconds and then comes back by itself. I can then use mouse but cannot click on anything.

Could this be a graphics card problem or a problem with Ubuntu or Xorg?

I hit Alt Gr + k + Print keys to force a log out. It logs out but I cannot do anything thus the only remedy is a reboot.

This has twice today. Most days it never happens but on occasion it may happen 2 or 3 times.
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008
    GNU/Linux User #470660 – Ubuntu User #28226
    Isaac Asimov: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Screen goes blank then I cannot click on anything with mouse and must reboot...

Try pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a console,
    login with your normal username.
    sudo to root
    mount an USB-drive
    copy /var/log/Xorg.0.log to the USB drive,
    repeat for dmesg
    Post the contents
    PM me because i'm bad at keeping up with posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation Re: Screen goes blank then I cannot click on anything with mouse and must reboot...

Quote Originally Posted by roelforg View Post
    sudo to root
    mount an USB-drive
    repeat for dmesg
    Post the contents
    Previously when this happened I could not use the keyboard thus Ctrl+Alt+F3 was impossible. Ctrl+Alt+F3 was suggested by someone (I presume CTRL-ALT-F1 will not be possible but I will give it a shot).
    1st Distro used (live CD): Knoppix in early 2007 ¦ 1st Distro Installed: Ubuntu 7.10 in Feb 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Screen goes blank then I cannot click on anything with mouse and must reboot...

Quote Originally Posted by Rytron View Post
    Previously when this happened I could not use the keyboard thus Ctrl+Alt+F3 was impossible. Ctrl+Alt+F3 was suggested by someone (I presume CTRL-ALT-F1 will not be possible but I will give it a shot).
    The only difference is that my version will switch to VT1 instead of VT3
    It doesn't matter.
    "Everything that has a beginning, has an end." --an unexpectedly wise wallpaper

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Cool Re: Screen goes blank then I cannot click on anything with mouse and must reboot...

Quote Originally Posted by roelforg View Post
    sudo to root
    mount an USB-drive
    repeat for dmesg
    Post the contents
    The problem happened again. I pressed CTRL-ALT-F1 but to no avail.

Beans

The problem happened again. I pressed CTRL-ALT-F1 but to no avail.
    Can you log in to your computer via ssh? In that case, what happens right now (does it work also when you get this kind of black-out)?

I have been able to shut down my main computer with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS desktop in a controlled way several times in similar situations via ssh (when the screen has stopped responding). Sometimes I have even been able to shut down and restart the processes behind the screen graphics. And sometimes roelforg's method with a local text screen works for me too.

Edit: I have had problems with the screensaver, causing black-outs in 10.04.
    Last edited by Olle Wiklund; March 20th, 2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: tip about screensaver problems

Beans

Hi,

It's difficult to find what's wrong when it happens seldom. But it would be nice to find some way to tell if it is hardware or software related. If it happens maybe once a day on average, could you run another system with another graphics driver (live or from a small internal partition) for a few days (total time)? If it happens with that system, it's probably the hardware. If it doesn't happen, you can't be sure it's the software, but the longer time without a black-out, the more probable ...

Or can you borrow another grahics card and test it for a week?

Hope this can help, or give you some other similar idea to test

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation Re: Screen goes blank then I cannot click on anything with mouse and must reboot...

Quote Originally Posted by Olle Wiklund View Post
    Can you log in to your computer via ssh?
    Sorry, I don't know how to login with ssh. But how would I do that if the screen went blank? Would I need to have the other PC connected and turned on ready to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Olle Wiklund View Post
    Edit: I have had problems with the screensaver, causing black-outs in 10.04.
    Perhaps this is just a Lucid Lynx issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Hi,

It's difficult to find what's wrong when it happens seldom. But it would be nice to find some way to tell if it is hardware or software related. If it happens maybe once a day on average, could you run another system with another graphics driver (live or from a small internal partition) for a few days (total time)? If it happens with that system, it's probably the hardware. If it doesn't happen, you can't be sure it's the software, but the longer time without a black-out, the more probable ...

Or can you borrow another grahics card and test it for a week?

Hope this can help, or give you some other similar idea to test
    It may happen once in a month or can occur 3 times in the same day. It seems totally random.

I may change my Distro at the end of next month. If it does not happen again then it is an issue/bug with Lucid.

Unfortunately I do not have another graphics card at hand.

Beans

Sorry, I don't know how to login with ssh. But how would I do that if the screen went blank? Would I need to have the other PC connected and turned on ready to go?

Perhaps this is just a Lucid Lynx issue.
    You need to install the whole ssh package and have the server program sshd running.
    I think you simply run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ssh
    to install it.
    Then login via the network from another computer. You can run the simple command line interface
    Code:
    ssh
    or something like
    Code:
    ssh rytron@your-computer
    Last edited by Olle Wiklund; March 20th, 2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: simplified instruction how to login via ssh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast