Thread: Poor performance moving window

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Poor performance moving window

Has anyone else experienced awful performance when moving windows around the screen?

If I try to drag one at more than a snail's pace, it jerks and jumps like I'm running a Rage II from the 90s. It has run smoothly once or twice, but that's about. Nothing seems to be using resources more than usual.

173 Nvidia driver.
    8400 GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Poor performance moving window

Same for me. Maybe it is the high resolution. If you want you can try the gnome3 interface which works better. You can use also gnome without graphics enhanced.

If you want to install it you can first install synaptic (sudo apt-get install synaptic) and then search for gnome 3. The packages are gnome-session. You can also try gnome-session-fallback.

You can always try the ubuntu-2d solution.

Beans

Long standing bug.
    Doesn't appear in my 12.04 testing install so I'm just putting up with it for now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by forestG View Post
    Same for me. Maybe it is the high resolution. If you want you can try the gnome3 interface which works better. You can use also gnome without graphics enhanced.

If you want to install it you can first install synaptic (sudo apt-get install synaptic) and then search for gnome 3. The packages are gnome-session. You can also try gnome-session-fallback.
    I prefer Gnome3 to Unity, I used to run Fedora. When the hard drive died, I thought I'd swing by and try the latest Ubuntu build. If I'm going to bother with Gnome3, I'd probably just go back to Fedora.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Long standing bug.
    Doesn't appear in my 12.04 testing install so I'm just putting up with it for now.
    I think that's what I'll have to do; I can't put my finger on the cause.