Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way Automatix is perceieved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

The way Automatix is perceieved

I have a dilemma and I hope someone will enlighten me.

Back in the days of Breezy folks on #ubuntu would rather not recommend Automatix to new users. Actually, this is the reason I never installed it. I was told that the script is insecure and using it can mess up the whole system.

Now I see more and more people on the forums recommending Automatix to new users.

Did Automatix get better? Do the #ubuntu people feel the same about it or they have changed theit opinion? Or may be people recommand Automatix because this way is easyer to deal with new users? In other words, what is the current community stance in relation with Automatix?

Thank you.
    When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand. - Raymond Chandler

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The way Automatix is perceieved

I created a poll about this:
    What has been your Automatix experience?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zugu
    I have a dilemma and I hope someone will enlighten me.

Back in the days of Breezy folks on #ubuntu would rather not recommend Automatix to new users. Actually, this is the reason I never installed it. I was told that the script is insecure and using it can mess up the whole system.

Now I see more and more people on the forums recommending Automatix to new users.

Did Automatix get better? Do the #ubuntu people feel the same about it or they have changed theit opinion? Or may be people recommand Automatix because this way is easyer to deal with new users? In other words, what is the current community stance in relation with Automatix?

Thank you.
    I don't know if that is true, because there are also ubuntu users that recommend easyubuntu over automatix, surely automatix has made some improvements, the ubuntu users seems to have a divided opinion about automatix, easyubuntu, or manuall APT. it just boils down to personal preference i guess..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Thank you for the answers.
    When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand. - Raymond Chandler

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    I created a poll about this:
    What has been your Automatix experience?
    Given new versions of both Ubuntu and Automatix I have closed the poll
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

this is, um, a political issue =/

there was a prominent member of #ubuntu who was very against AX, and would [attack?] anyone recommending it. People followed his/her example. given the high status of this person, and hate began to spread.

There are still problems, but i don't think either is explicitely recommended over the other.
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Based on the poll KiwiNZ just closed, I would say...

If Automatix somehow messes up your system, I'm not surprised. And if Automatix works perfectly, I'm also not surprised.

I don't see any problem in recommending it to people as long as they realize it's another program you're adding in, and it's not standard.

Any time you add a non-standard program, there's a risk, however small, of breakage.

In the vast majority of cases, though, it's a wonder-tool, and the user ends up happy with how easily it installs numerous popular applications.

If there ends up to be breakage... well, the other Automatix users on this forum are more than happy to help fix the breakage.

For the record, one forum member has written up a little summary of BUMPS, EasyUbuntu, and Automatix to help new users choose.

Beans

The following isn't personal for anyone, or specific to any software. I've felt like saying it in many other threads but haven't found the right time or the right words.

"Who is saying what on Automatix" (or any other software) will ultimately never go beyond gossip and surface politics. To have your own idea about whether it's good or not, safe or not, you need to be informed. If you lack the time or technical know-how to be informed in depth on this specific issue, just read through the two threads linked off aysiu's poll where there's lots of discussion and well laid out information for a start, and decide for yourself.

If you're underinformed, and can't bother to get informed, please kindly step out of any discussion where information is a prerequisite.

Understanding is only genuine when you've understood something for yourself with your own reasoning, not based on bits and pieces of disconnected half ideas and gossip floating around.
    Last edited by 23meg; February 27th, 2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

23meg, I'll be the first to confess that I'm not terribly informed, and I don't know all the technical aspects of how Automatix works.

I do, however, think there's something to be said for the aggregate experience of 255 users.

Beans

aysiu, my concern wasn't for your post (it may have felt like that since my post was right after yours) which wasn't even there by the time I started writing, but the whole point of this thread and similar ones. In a software context "What does A say on B?" will never go beyond useless gossip without clear technical reasoning behind it.
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast