Thread: [UK] Looking for a UK IBM "Model M" keyboard

Beans

[UK] Looking for a UK IBM "Model M" keyboard

Hi all.

As title, I am UK based and looking to buy a *UK* layout IBM "Model M" clicky keyboard. I am willing to pay a fair price, but won't consider greedy, silly money prices. I'm willing to pay for shipping, naturally. eBay folks want to gouge buyers for these, which I won't entertain.

The model in question is shown here: http://www.preater.com/modelm/

It *must* be UK layout, and you must be UK based, thank you.

Blessings to you!

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [UK] Looking for a UK IBM "Model M" keyboard

IBM (Lexmark) keyboards are available new. Here is the manufacturer, not UK based though. No idea about shipping but they do respond to email in a reasonably prompt manner.

http://pckeyboard.com/

From their web site:

Why purchase an imitator when you can buy the original “Model M”. We have produced the buckling spring “Click” keyboard for IBM and thousands of discriminating users worldwide for 15 years…. Join the many that have made the switch to a much more accurate data entry alternative.”
    Last edited by kurt18947; March 13th, 2012 at 02:23 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    IBM (Lexmark) keyboards are available new. Here is the manufacturer, not UK based though. No idea about shipping but they do respond to email in a reasonably prompt manner.

http://pckeyboard.com/

From their web site:

Why purchase an imitator when you can buy the original “Model M”. We have produced the buckling spring “Click” keyboard for IBM and thousands of discriminating users worldwide for 15 years…. Join the many that have made the switch to a much more accurate data entry alternative.”
    Yes, thank you. I have already called them, and their prices for shipping to the UK are ridiculous... and it's not even an original Model M they are selling. They're milking it, just like all the greedy eBayers ($)_($).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The UK Model Ms are very expensive. An original will run you more than the unicomp ones I'm sure. Shipping is also expensive as it is very heavy. They're very rare, so at this point the UK ones are also considered collectibles by some people.

You should check out the geekhack forums, tons of Model Ms for sale in their classifieds section. Expect to pay a couple hundred though...people will pay it, so why would they sell it for less? And if they do, it will be gone within minutes of being posted.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    The UK Model Ms are very expensive. An original will run you more than the unicomp ones I'm sure. Shipping is also expensive as it is very heavy. They're very rare, so at this point the UK ones are also considered collectibles by some people.

You should check out the geekhack forums, tons of Model Ms for sale in their classifieds section. Expect to pay a couple hundred though...people will pay it, so why would they sell it for less? And if they do, it will be gone within minutes of being posted.
    My patience and hard work paid off. After ringing round a few PC recycling depots, one of them had a box full of them; I bought two for £30 each + £10 shipping. I am typing on one now The ones I bought have green text on the left ALT key, "Ctrl/Act" on the right CTRL key, and detachable SDL to PS/2 leads... *and* the less common built in speaker, on both!

After being stripped down, scrubbed and having their key caps soaked overnight, they look brand new. Man, the PBT plastic used to make the keys is almost indestructible; NONE of the keys have even the slightest mark or shine/wear on them, even after over 20 years of use, and they were well used, as they were covered in dust and finger grime.

Thanks though. I'm not a lazy eBay'er, and this just shows that a little nouse pays dividends
    Last edited by nikonian; March 29th, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Haha, nice. Good job. I have two Model Ms myself and love them, but I am planning on buying a unicomp. The black with grey keys looks pretty awesome in my opinion and one of my Model Ms needs to be bolt modded to be 100% functional.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption