Thread: How can I completely remove Thunderbird? settings, addons, etc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How can I completely remove Thunderbird? settings, addons, etc

Using thunderbird with a yahoo email, I had trouble saving a draft. This message pops up everytime thunderbird tries to sync with the yahoo servers:

Thunderbird
    The operation on 'Drafts' did not succeed. The mail server for account myemail@yahoo.com responded: [TRYCREATE] SELECT error - Folder does not exist or server encountered an error.

I tried removing email accounts, and adding them back. That didn't help.
    I've tried uninstalling thunderbird using: sudo apt-get remove thunderbird. However, after restarting my computer and reinstalling thunderbird, I realized that removing thunderbird doesn't actually remove any of my settings. So instead of the clean slate that I desired, I went back to having all the same add-ons and email addresses as before. In fact, now the problematic email address appears twice under my combined inbox.

I would ask at a Thunderbird forum, if I knew of a forum for Thunderbird 10+; I'm using 10.0.2. So instead I figured I'd ask for help here; I use Lubuntu 11.10. Does anyone know how I can completely remove Thunderbird, all my add-ons, settings, and anything else that I may have changed? ...So that I can reinstall and get back to an ideal "clean slate".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I completely remove Thunderbird? settings, addons, etc

Try removing (or renaming which isn't quite so destructive ) the .thunderbird folder from your /home folder. This folder contains all your settings.

Open Thunderbird and it will create a new .thunderbird folder complete with new profile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Try removing (or renaming which isn't quite so destructive ) the .thunderbird folder from your /home folder. This folder contains all your settings.

Open Thunderbird and it will create a new .thunderbird folder complete with new profile.

Note that this is a hidden folder. You will have to select to view hidden folders in the "view" menu to see it.
    Michael

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks so much! Especially for responding so quickly.
    side note: I'm ashamed that I didn't think of that... oh well.