Thread: HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Post HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

UPDATE 1: LinuxDC++ 1.1.0 has been released. This guide is only if you want to compile the latest LinuxDC++ from Bazaar, which may or may not be as stable as 1.1.0. You can find it in our: LinuxDC++ Release PPA

UPDATE 2: You can install debian binaries of our latest unreleased code from our Launchpad PPA.

First off, for those that don't know, LinuxDC++ is a Linux port of the file-sharing program DC++. It uses the DC++ core but with a GTK+ GUI. It has also been called by many other names including: linuxdcpp, ldcpp, dcpp, ldc++, dc++ for linux, wulfor. I'm a developer on LinuxDC++ and thought I'd write up a guide to install LinuxDC++ on Ubuntu.

First, download the required dependencies:

bzr
    scons
    build-essential
    libgtk2.0-dev
    libglade2-dev
    zlib1g-dev
    libbz2-dev
    libssl-dev
    libboost-dev

To do this in one command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bzr scons build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev libssl-dev libboost-dev
    There are no official releases of the program since it's still in alpha. This means that there exists no official binaries for any distribution. However, to install LinuxDC++ you can download it through bazaar. Run these commands in your home directory or somewhere else where you have write access:

Code:
    bzr branch lp:linuxdcpp
    Now to install (you can set PREFIX to whatever, but I'd recommend /usr/local):
    Code:
    cd linuxdcpp
    scons release=1 PREFIX=/usr/local
    sudo scons install
    To run:
    Code:
    linuxdcpp
    Note: Turn off Assistive Technologies before running LinuxDC++ (System->Preferences->Assistive Technologies). For some reason, it makes linuxdcpp run very slowly and display a bunch of errors.

When we update the source, you can update your linuxdcpp source and re-run the scons & scons install commands from above to install it again. To update the source:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/source/dir
    bzr update
    To uninstall LinuxDC++:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/source/dir
    sudo scons -c install
    Then you can delete your source directory if you like.

Some links:
    • LinuxDC++: official homepage
    • PPA: Debian packages of our latest unreleased code
    • LinuxDC++ Wiki: You can find our FAQ and our manual here.
    • DC++: original windows DC++ program that LinuxDC++ is based on.
    • #linuxdc++@freenode.net: Visit our IRC channel if you have any questions. I'm usually there under the nick "_steven_"; if I'm not, just ask in the channel and somebody should hopefully respond.
    Last edited by stevensheehy; April 17th, 2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: PPA