Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: HOWTO: Install LinuxDC++

Thanks a lot Stevensheehy for your answers ! And yes, I meant the system/task tray in fact for the icon problem (it's where gaim or the sound volume is docked for example).
    And like janfsd, it works great for me under feisty ! No need to update the how-to
    Last edited by Bapman; April 29th, 2007 at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thank you! Followed the guide and it was all smooth sailing. No issues at all with the app so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same here, everything's smooth, was worried about download time but it seems Linux connects to some server from my country (Romania) from which it downloaded the files needed pretty quick (under 1 min?) (i'm talking about the first set of packages, needed to build LinuxDC++)... Linux just keeps amazing me...

Beans

thanks a lot for the howto! up and running with no problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by stevensheehy View Post
    By the way, I need someone to test if this guide works on Feisty. I'm probably not going to be upgrading for awhile (if at all), so I need someone else to test. Thanks.
    Hi

I had linuxDC++ v0.698 installed back when I was on edgy. I recently updated to feisty and I can still use linuxdcpp same way as in edgy. So once again, good work Steven.

BTW, is there a more recent version and if so, how can I update ?
    Searching really is faster than posting.
    *Linux registered user #438400
    *Ubuntu user #10769

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by ovidescu View Post
    Hi

I had linuxDC++ v0.698 installed back when I was on edgy. I recently updated to feisty and I can still use linuxdcpp same way as in edgy. So once again, good work Steven.

BTW, is there a more recent version and if so, how can I update ?
    0.698 is the version of the dc++ core, not linuxdc++. We have yet to make a release, so we're going by cvs date at the moment. Check your Changelog.txt to see if it is older than the newest date in the changelog linked at http://linuxdcpp.berlios.de/articles.php?um=index. If it is, follow the update instructions on the first page of this howto. cheers

Beans

I installed it on a friends laptop and I found out the installation script didn't create /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp, which caused a segment fault when launching the app from a location other than the source dir. (From the error message, I noticed it tried to use files in the dir. mentioned above)

Then I update my installation and did a scons -c install, and all the stuff under /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/pixmaps and /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/glade/ were automatically deleted. Then I ran into the same problem. I had to link those file from the source dir. to make it work again.

Don't know if it's a bug or what.

Beans

It works fine but only if I launch it as root (or sudo) ... Is it dangerous to do so ?
    Last edited by jlbiasini; May 15th, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by jlbiasini View Post
    It works fine but only if I launch it as root (or sudo) ... Is it dangerous to do so ?
    Do not launch linuxdcpp as root, it is not tested for such escalated privileges. You must not have followed the instructions on the howto exactly. I would guess that you ran both scons and scons install with sudo. You should only run scons install as root.
    Last edited by stevensheehy; May 15th, 2007 at 05:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by dngpng View Post
    I installed it on a friends laptop and I found out the installation script didn't create /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp, which caused a segment fault when launching the app from a location other than the source dir. (From the error message, I noticed it tried to use files in the dir. mentioned above)

Then I update my installation and did a scons -c install, and all the stuff under /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/pixmaps and /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp/glade/ were automatically deleted. Then I ran into the same problem. I had to link those file from the source dir. to make it work again.

Don't know if it's a bug or what.
    Sounds like you also didn't follow the howto exactly. You run scons to compile and link it, then sudo scons install to copy the executable, pixmaps and glade files to /usr/local/. You have to have root access in order to create /usr/local/share/linuxdcpp and add files to it, hence the sudo.

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast