Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nvidia joins Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Nvidia joins Linux

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    Well there is no guarantee that drivers will automatically be supported for a current gpu, if a Linux development team hasn't written them to be supported by the kernel for the kernel. Man, c++ is hard enough to learn, writing those drivers means they must be tested and debugged, honestly it's hard to guarantee that will be done automatically right off the bat, and that hardware acceleration will be supported by the current graphics api library. Anyhow, none the less, the driver support for linux ubuntu 11.4 and other distros is awesome. It's really really hard to beat the support you get with linux, and it's free. And for all my smack about games being developer for directx11 not running well in opengl, call of duty 4 runs to me even better on my current gpu in ubuntu, then it did when I was running the game with windows. Now to be completely honest, it freezes every 5 seconds, so it might as well run way more crappy. I'm not sure how that works exactly, graphics processing takes processing speed and power for bit per second, as well as maximum vram cached storage, so maybe what it is, is that the linux kernel routine does a better job caching small amount of gpu to the processing kernel, and yet directx handles the overall frame rate loading consistency better.

Or maybe that has nothing to do with it, but I can get cod4 to run on my hardware at maximum specs, and with windows at medium specs, but it crashes constantly in linux. Or a more plausible answer. Maybe linux doesn't have buffers that prevent the game from running on a higher setting the way windows does. Guess I've asked more questions then provided answers, oh well
    I am not a gamer myself. I play NFSMW once in a while but, backgammon is my usual game of choice - burning up that GPU nonetheless!!! LOL

My son plays MW2 and Rage and some others but, they will not run under Wine as we have tried.
    I love the ability to dual boot. Each OS has it's good points and bad. Windows 7 is at least 10 times slower shutting down and starting up as Ubuntu.

I have a nice conky along the right side that provides 4 temperature readings for my quad core CPU, the GPU temp and version of the nVidea driver, (all in Fahrenheit as I don't relate to Celsius)
    processor usage, disk usage, network usage and 3 days of weather and I have a 28" 1920x1200 1080p monitor so I have Firefox set not to overlap the conky.

I also have to delay the conky for 15 seconds because Ubuntu boots up so quickly that it will be on top of everything without the delay.

Windows needs at least 1 minute + to do what Ubuntu does in seconds. But, I know Ubuntu is a lot smaller OS.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; April 1st, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: 28" not 28'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by imachavel View Post
    4100 beans, you are an Ubuntu addict, and loving it all the way huh!?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post

I was trying to figure out the same thing hahahaha

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComputingWeekly.com
    In line with this news, Nvidia now boasts a vice president of Linux platform software now
    And this article was edited by monkeys from the Department of Redundancy Department monkeys?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    And this article was edited by monkeys from the Department of Redundancy Department monkeys?
    Look before you leap
    Suggested for you:

Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alexfish View Post
    look before you leap
    suggested for you: