Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia joins Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Nvidia joins Linux

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I don't think so. Firstly Ubuntu (or any other distro) is not Linux in this context. Mror importantly, Nvidia's driver are proprietary, so they can't be included into the repositories anyway.

From what I've seen, the actual impact of joining the Linux Foundation is actually not very much in terms of what Linux users get. The main benefit is the increase in credibility (and money) for the Foundation. It's also possible that it signals a change in attitude and Nvidia start lending support to the the open source nouveau driver, but given all the legal hurdles, I wouldn't bet on it.
    Yeah, but honestly, it's still good news. With Adobe dropping Flash support, it's beginning to feel lonely out here. I'm glad to see Nvidia looking for publicity in its Linux support even if it just shows that desktop Linux is still worth marketing toward, even for people who aren't IBM.

Beans

Come Wayland we won't be using nVidias drivers any more seeing they have no intention to support Wayland according to them.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Nvidia joins Linux

I have always preferred Nvidia
    I Love Linux, tell me how you fell in love with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Come Wayland we won't be using nVidias drivers any more seeing they have no intention to support Wayland according to them.

That's not exactly what they said. I recall "at this time" was mentioned.

Edit. Doing a search you might be right however plans and intentions change.
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; March 13th, 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't think so. Firstly Ubuntu (or any other distro) is not Linux in this context. Mror importantly, Nvidia's driver are proprietary, so they can't be included into the repositories anyway.

From what I've seen, the actual impact of joining the Linux Foundation is actually not very much in terms of what Linux users get. The main benefit is the increase in credibility (and money) for the Foundation. It's also possible that it signals a change in attitude and Nvidia start lending support to the the open source nouveau driver, but given all the legal hurdles, I wouldn't bet on it.
    Thanks for that clarification. I install my own nVidea drivers anyway and am on 295.20 right now.
    It was released on 2012.02.13

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

There's no reason they couldn't create an official 3rd party PPA-type repository, though. I doubt if they will, but then again, I never really thought they would do this, either.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

At least nVidea is producing Linux drivers at about the same time windows 7 drivers are released.
    My windows setup notified me of a new driver last night that just came out yesterday. I suspect they will release
    one for Linux in the next 2-3 days. And they are putting out 32 bit and 64 bit drivers for both OSs.

So, you can't say they are ignoring Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    So, you can't say they are ignoring Linux.
    They will once Wayland comes out, since nVidia has stated they will not be supporting it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by synaptix View Post
    They will once Wayland comes out, since nVidia has stated they will not be supporting it.
    So, Ubuntu drops the X server and goes for Wayland. And that is nVidea's fault? Anyway, wayland can run the X
    server underneath to stay compatible, so incompatable-driver>X>Wayland.

http://wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

With Fedora and Ubuntu heading that way, I imagine that's your average mainstream Ubuntu user covered - which I assume will cover the majority of Linux gamers - which I assume are the people that really need nvidia's driver.

So either Nvidia will end up supporting it, a lot of Linux gamers will leave Ubuntu, or a lot of Linux gamers will leave Nvidia.

Not that I game on Linux; I would, but there are few games I like.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast